New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Greetings from just out of Melbourne, Victoria Australia!!

Scotti is my name and I am a long time gigging musician who always said I'd get around to dabbling in a bit of songwriting/home recording once the gigs slowed down. Now is the time so I am just sniffing around and researching which beginner setup would be most appropriate for my needs.

My biggest factors are:

-User friendliness, I am not really technically minded and don't have the patience to read a manual from cover to cover so I need something that I can pick up and run with fairly quickly

-Value for money, only looking to spend a few hundred on software and an interface. So far I am fairly interested in the Presonus AudioBox iTwo bundle as it looks like a fairly powerful and uncomplicated tool for guys like me who want the basics with a bit of quality thrown in.

Would be interested to hear from any members who are familiar with the Presonus bundle and have something to share on whether it is as good as the you tube reviews say or maybe even better! :D

Cheers,

STP

Presonous is a good bundle (from what others have reported), although I only have experience with the interface and used a different DAW. Reaper is a free unlimited demo so you could try that with any DAW.

Welcome to the sickness. ;)

Greetings from just out of Melbourne, Victoria Australia!!

Scotti is my name and I am a long time gigging musician who always said I'd get around to dabbling in a bit of songwriting/home recording once the gigs slowed down. Now is the time so I am just sniffing around and researching which beginner setup would be most appropriate for my needs.

My biggest factors are:

-User friendliness, I am not really technically minded and don't have the patience to read a manual from cover to cover so I need something that I can pick up and run with fairly quickly

-Value for money, only looking to spend a few hundred on software and an interface. So far I am fairly interested in the Presonus AudioBox iTwo bundle as it looks like a fairly powerful and uncomplicated tool for guys like me who want the basics with a bit of quality thrown in.

Would be interested to hear from any members who are familiar with the Presonus bundle and have something to share on whether it is as good as the you tube reviews say or maybe even better! :D

Cheers,

STP

Haha, thanks Pinky. Yes I feel I am about to dive into a whole other source of financial drainage not too dissimilar to the guitar and amp sickness I have recovered from!! :thumbs up:

Hi Everyone,

My names Jord, Stage name: JordThePoet/JordTheFraud depending on who you ask lol.

I'm a spoken word artist and I've been doing my thing for about 6 or 7 years now.

My curreny sound set up is from 2011? 2010? something like that. I use a Line 6 UX1, Garageband/Audacity depending on my mood and a PG58 Microphone.

Now, recently my set up stopped working and I'm not sure why, I purchased a cheap XLR cable to see if that was the issue and it didn't work either but that might just be down to the quality of cable as every now and again everything will work fine for 15 minutes or so.

The UX1 still picks up a sound output and it appears to be working well there so I'm not sure that is the issue.

It could be the mic I'm not entirely sure.

Either way I've got a lot of recording to do and having just left my job to focus on Spoken Word a week before my set up stopped working I don't have the cash to go and buy a whole new set up (I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett studio pack - any comments on that?).

So essentially, what I'd like to ask you seasoned professionals is whether my Cables are likely to be the fault or whether it's worth just buying a whole new set up?

Haha, thanks Pinky. Yes I feel I am about to dive into a whole other source of financial drainage not too dissimilar to the guitar and amp sickness I have recovered from!! :thumbs up:

We just ask you don't 13 Step another member's pedal board. All else is fair game, as long as you're honest with yourself... blah blah blah. :D

Hi, im TJ Kemp. Im a beginner gmod/sfm animator and right now, im new to FL studio. I'm a FNAF and splatoon fan. I'm currently working on 3 video game songs, (FNAF 4 - Real Nightmare [Ft. MrCreepyPasta]) (Tower Unite Virus - Virtual Infection) (Tower Unite Ball Race - Rolling The Track] i'm planning to do more tower unite songs since i'm a huge fan of tower unite. Hopefully i'll be happy here

Really happy to see this board still up and thriving. I used to post quite a bit 7 or 8 years ago. I'm about a year back into making music and building up a home studio and need you'alls knowledge. Thanks for being here!

Hello! I've been an orchestral percussionist, as well as your normal drum set player for about the past 8 years. This year I decided to get into the more modern practices of music recording and hope to learn a lot!

Now I have a microphone - A newbie takes the first step

Hello to all from a newbie recorder

My only purpose is to be able to record something... ANYTHING onto my laptop. Any sound that I manage to keep will be considered a success. Even the distant crackle of interference, or the sound of me slumping to the floor by electrocution will see the coroner staring at a happy corpse.

Electronics, microphones and cables are scary!

I must overcome my fears.

Bubba Speare

hey yall,

I perform and record music/sound art out of my bedroom in Minneapolis. Currently organizing an intentional cooperative artist's living community/gallery/performance space, working on presenting performance in non-traditional environments. I have recently performed collaborative acoustic ambient music with a dancer in a bar, have built my own mechanical feedback instrument and performed an improvised piece at a gallery space and also songwrite/perform/record pop music with a band under the moniker of astral samara. I have also been active in the DIY scene for many years and host house shows at my current residence. I used to be a huge forum kid when I was younger and I am hoping to get a bit back into it. This looks like a great community and I am excited to start posting.

-alex

Good evening everyone. My name is Will. I am a complete newby to the home recording world, and hope to be able to learn a lot here.

Hi, my name is Tyler and I live in SLC, UT. I'm a nut for outdated and obsolete analog gear, recording on tape, and spending more time and money than a sane person would with all of the above. Been a musician for the better part of 20 years but I'm still very new to recording so I'm looking forward to sucking less at it!

What am I supposed to quote?

New to the forum? Say hello, tell us a little about your self. Meet the gang :p

Welcome to HomeRecording Forum! :guitar:

I have some related questions regarding "foreground monitor", a term that goes nowhere useful when Googled. Here are my questions:

1. In recording-studio parlance, what is the function of a foreground monitor?
2. Is there such a thing, therefore implied, as a background monitor?
3. What is the function of such, if it exists?

I know what a foreground monitor looks like, and I am a retired analogue-electronics design engineer, at best, among other things.

Last edited:
PS after I registered and received an email, the clicked link in the email took me back to this site. But I couldn't see how to post in the forum until, somehow, I finally found out that I had to ACTUALLY LOGIN. Once I did all was fine. I'm 68 so my brain might have missed something obvious.

Last edited:
Back