New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

SSD4 for drums hands down. Not sure about the guitar sims. Depends on genre. Actually, so does the drum software, but the Steven Slate stuff sounds the most 'real' to me.

Cheers (y). I'm probably gonna go with Superior Drummer 2.0 and just download all of the tones compatible with my LINE 6 UX2 POD for now. I'm gonna get a bass for Christmas aswell. I'm only looking to start doing some solid song writing / demos and so I'm not too fussed about the best of the best gear right now. Superior Drummer and Steven Slate and Addictive Drummer are the ones I've been looking at and they all look amazing to use and sound proffesional / human as anything. The review of Superior 2.0 on youtube blew me away; all of the mixing possibilities and kit setup options!

Hello awosome people,
I am Ramazan from Berlin. I need some help on the subject, but not only a question, it is a process. A private school wants me to build a rock studio, and I did it as I know. Now the things are getting deeper, they just wanted to turn it a recording studio. That is why I am in this forum page. You oftenly will see my posts in the forum.
Thank you for your contributions.

Hello my name is Xavier and I'm a musician on my spare time. I play keyboards, congas, timbales, bongos and I like to sign and compose my own music.

hello my name sandee.. nice to meet you
g.png

Hello awosome people,
I am Ramazan from Berlin. I need some help on the subject, but not only a question, it is a process. A private school wants me to build a rock studio, and I did it as I know. Now the things are getting deeper, they just wanted to turn it a recording studio. That is why I am in this forum page. You oftenly will see my posts in the forum.
Thank you for your contributions.

Welcome to the board. Be sure to spend a lot of time in the Studio Build/Treatment forum. :)

Hello my name is Xavier and I'm a musician on my spare time. I play keyboards, congas, timbales, bongos and I like to sign and compose my own music.

Xavier! Most of us here are spare timers. Welcome to the crew. Have fun, ask questions. Post samples. Try out the MP3 clinic and Happy Recording! :D

hello my name sandee.. nice to meet you
g.png

Nice to meet you, too, Sandee! Singer, songwriter, musician, technician, or a little of all??? :guitar:

Bob, this might be of interest. You'll need to download the files to hear it, but THIS LINK goes to a test of several different microphones and miking styles. Bear in mind, those are all big name, high dollar microphones (well, the KM 184s are midrange), but once you know where best to place the mikes, and about what sounds the best to your ears, we can give better advice on LDC/SDC/dynamics that would best suit your purposes. Personal taste would be toward a LDC/SDC in the bass/treble positions...Something like Shure KSM27/KSM109 which are really good for piano at the price.

EDIT
Also, adding a room mike and a floor mike (if you're room is at all ambient) and blending can add a lot of nice flavor...

BroKen_H,

Thanks for this link. It was quite interesting. After the first three they all sort of blended together, but it was probably enough for me to at least start thinking about mic placement.

The first (he called it close to strings) was interesting, but I think the least natural sounding to me.

I liked the XY (he said it was boring!) and ORTF. XY sounds to me most like what you hear sitting at the piano, so I think it's the most natural. It sounds like the way most things I listen to are recorded.

Thanks again for taking the time to pass along. It's hard finding straight up comparisons like this for piano, so it's a link worth keeping to me.

Regards,
Bob

Finally, after years of confinement I have a neat space. A two story building to build up my home rec st. I won´t mess a lot with masonry to transform the place but I will work with what there is now. HomeRecording.com has been a reference site for me since Dial-up modems.

Hi, I'm a n0ob here ... about a minute old now. I have an Alesis HD24 that I love but now having probs, so I found this website in my search for a fix. I'm sure I'll enjoy hanging out here a bit :)

Hi,

I am Stephen "Guzzi Steve" Grasso, co-host of the Cafe Racer Podcast. I am kind of new to audio recording so I will me reading a lot before opening my mouth. I am also very interested in audio recording for video.

Our show is broadcast live, every two weeks, on Google Hangouts on Air. We rip the audio from the mpeg using Audacity, add a clean intro with overdub, some mild compression, and then run it through Auphonic before exporting an mp3 for iTunes. We also make a back-up recording using either a Tascam DR-05 or Zoom H5. I started with a Blue Nessie for a mic the switched to a Digital Reference DRV100 going into a Scarlett 2i4. I have since ordered a Electro Voice RE320 on a Rode PSA1 boom arm. I sold the Scarlett thinking that I needed a mixer to do a mix-minus setup to record Skype callers but now I am rethinking that based on what I have been reading hear.

I also us a Rode Reporter plugged into the Zoom for field interviews and may add a shotgun either to the H5 or to the top of the camera.

PLEASE let me know your thoughts on using a mixer vs AI for podcasting.

Steve

Hi All,

Im Ali A.D. from Karachi, Pakistan. Im a music producer and have my own professional studio. In a couple of months I plan to completely renovate my studio and I need help regarding sound proofing, treatment, equipment and mixing etc.

Would appreciate help and would like to share my experiences and my work with you all!

Cheers!,
Ali A.D.

Hi,

I am Stephen "Guzzi Steve" Grasso, co-host of the Cafe Racer Podcast. I am kind of new to audio recording so I will me reading a lot before opening my mouth. I am also very interested in audio recording for video.

Our show is broadcast live, every two weeks, on Google Hangouts on Air. We rip the audio from the mpeg using Audacity, add a clean intro with overdub, some mild compression, and then run it through Auphonic before exporting an mp3 for iTunes. We also make a back-up recording using either a Tascam DR-05 or Zoom H5. I started with a Blue Nessie for a mic the switched to a Digital Reference DRV100 going into a Scarlett 2i4. I have since ordered a Electro Voice RE320 on a Rode PSA1 boom arm. I sold the Scarlett thinking that I needed a mixer to do a mix-minus setup to record Skype callers but now I am rethinking that based on what I have been reading hear.

I also us a Rode Reporter plugged into the Zoom for field interviews and may add a shotgun either to the H5 or to the top of the camera.

PLEASE let me know your thoughts on using a mixer vs AI for podcasting.

Steve

Hi Steve,
I am sure you know but for the benefit!..... You cannot have a mixer OR an interface there must be an A/D somewhere in the system, unless you intend to use the computer's inbuilt soundcard? Ugh!

This gets a very good review.

Allen & Heath XB10

If you had another mixer in mind and were casting about for an AI, can I be boring yet again and suggest the NI KA6?

It would take the mixer pair at the back and leave the front combi XLRs free for other duties. The AI is totally bus powered and is so, so solid. It never blinks when the PC is turned on. No fuss, no bother it is just THERE waiting to go.
The headphone out put can also be assigned to either pair of outputs.

Dave.

Hi Steve,
I am sure you know but for the benefit!..... You cannot have a mixer OR an interface there must be an A/D somewhere in the system, unless you intend to use the computer's inbuilt soundcard? Ugh!

This gets a very good review.

Allen & Heath XB10

If you had another mixer in mind and were casting about for an AI, can I be boring yet again and suggest the NI KA6?

It would take the mixer pair at the back and leave the front combi XLRs free for other duties. The AI is totally bus powered and is so, so solid. It never blinks when the PC is turned on. No fuss, no bother it is just THERE waiting to go.
The headphone out put can also be assigned to either pair of outputs.

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

The XB10 looks great but it's out of my budget range right now. And yes I am using the sound card in the computer. What does A/D stand for? Sorry, total newb here.

Thanks Dave.

The XB10 looks great but it's out of my budget range right now. And yes I am using the sound card in the computer. What does A/D stand for? Sorry, total newb here.

Sorry! Analogue to Digital converter. The PC's soundcard is doing this for you, usually not very well but if you are happy with the results that is all that matters.

If you DID want something better you could look at second hand AIs? They tend to be very reliable things, basically if it has all its knobs, likely ok. Ones to look for are...
M-Audio Fast track pro
Tascams, US 122 AND 144
Anything by Focusrite, Roland...(have I missed any good ones?)

Good haggling point.
All these interfaces SHOULD come with at least two CDs, the drivers and a free recording program, called a "DAW" . You don't need either but scream stuck pig and get a $ or ten off the asking price. You can download the drivers (we will help) and you don't need the freebee DAW!

Dave.

:guitar:Hi to everyone,
I have spent an awful lot of money on buying all of the equipment I need for home recording, but I need a lot of help and advice on how to work the equipment I have.
I have the MPK225 controller, a focusrite USB iTrack solo interfacea, a zoostorm 12GB 2TB i7 desktop computer, a 24" monitor, a condenser microphone with a stand and I have completely done out one of my rooms with acoustic foam.
I have also bought a lot of Magix Samplitude music studio software but I am in two minds just to cut my loses on samplitude as I am finding it very hard to follow.
The other DAW I have looking at is the ableton live 9. I have the free DAW at the moment and I am finding it very clear to follow, not only that, the MPK225 controller is already programmed in to ableton where it is not on Samplitude.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:guitar:Hi to everyone,
I have spent an awful lot of money on buying all of the equipment I need for home recording, but I need a lot of help and advice on how to work the equipment I have.
I have the MPK225 controller, a focusrite USB iTrack solo interfacea, a zoostorm 12GB 2TB i7 desktop computer, a 24" monitor, a condenser microphone with a stand and I have completely done out one of my rooms with acoustic foam.
I have also bought a lot of Magix Samplitude music studio software but I am in two minds just to cut my loses on samplitude as I am finding it very hard to follow.
The other DAW I have looking at is the ableton live 9. I have the free DAW at the moment and I am finding it very clear to follow, not only that, the MPK225 controller is already programmed in to ableton where it is not on Samplitude.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't see that you mentioned any particular problems. Are you already setup and getting things recorded?

Hi Jimmy

I didn't see that you mentioned any particular problems. Are you already setup and getting things recorded?
I am already set up and ready to go but I have no idea how to incorporate the "note repeat" "arpeggiator" "latch" tap tempo" "loop" functions on my controller in to my DAW, if I am honest, I have no idea what they are for lol.
I contacted Akai to ask if there was any sort hands on tutorial on line and they have said that they can't think of any as most people who buy there stuff already know how to use it and what it is about, so at the moment I am stuck and bascally having to teach myself how to use it, and what buttons to press ETC

Back