New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Yeah, I sure can. My gear for recording at the time is pretty modest, and I'm sure some people will think it ludicrous. But I've got an iPhone 4 running Jamup Pro XT to handle guitar and bass tracking, no vocal mics yet, although since I'm currently planning on recording metal, I'll probably end up with an SM57. Computer: i7 8 core, windows 7 64 bit. 16GB ram. Haven't really settled on a DAW yet. :) suggestions are totally welcome.

Hi i'm a Newbie. Looking to buy a DAW at a reasonable price. Looking to run ProTools & Logic. Mac I'm sure. Starting small at home. Thinking 8GB ram, Quad Core. Any advice for the 2 to 3 thousand range.

Keith.

Hello.

Just joined... I've been on a few recording/music-tech forums but a lot of them are focused on big money purpose-built set ups...
I've got a little spare room rig - i3 windows7 laptop, 2i2 soundcard, Maschine, Presonus StudioOne, Korg MicroKey, Pod (V1 bean), Yamaha HS7's an SM58 & r102 mics a cheap bass guitar, a battered Washburn Acoustic and a really old pair of DT100's...
I mainly make hip hop and I currently work in a library. Married with kids.
Music time is precious.

My first piece of recording gear was an Akai DPS12i which was my 21st birthday present but first time in a studio was at 17 years old.

Hello everyone. "They call me, Tim?" Actually they do. I've got 2 computers i7 with windows 7 on pc and windows 8 on laptop. I've been working on my voices as long as I can remember. I'm looking for some suggestions on equipment to get my voice up and out in the world. I can't afford much at this point in time but I would still like to get it out there. I have the cakewalk music creator software 6.

Hi I'm jessie or Dirteedees or whatever I've been messing around with audio things for about 4 years now and still have no clue what I'm doing, I've found my way through the fire and have managed to record a few things with really knowing the effect of my actions. So I'm here to learn what I've actually been doing and maybe lighten the path a little.

Hey! My name is Scott... I was wanting to do some recordings and stumbled on this forum when trying to decide what multi-track recorder to choose. I found some great advice here and I really appreciate it. I love music and have a decent Casio privia keyboard and Roland TD-12 drums and thanks to reading some past posts here I just bought a Yamaha AW16g multi-track recorder on Craigslist for $95. (figured I couldn't go wrong for that!). I love to write songs just as a hobby or maybe its therapy or both.. I look forward to getting advice from folks on here. I hope all are having great days!

Hi Scott and welcome.
Looks like you have quite a tasty setup there! I don't know if you have considered adding an Audio Interface and therefore a computer to the rig but if so do not forget to get an AI with MIDI ports!

Dave.

Hi all, I'm Jamie, I've been playing guitar for nearly 10 years now, and I've been recording for about 4 or 5 years. I know I've still got loads to learn and practise so hopefully I'll be able to get some decent advice and also be able to help people just starting out!

Hey everyone!
Mike here...One quick question:
I just got my first mic (MXL 990), I'm using a presonus 22vsl (gold) interface, and I'm using Reaper to record.
The issue:
Everything I record through this setup has a lot of reverb, and some minor distortion.

Ok, so now the details...
I have not messed with any settings at all. I'm a complete beginner, so I just plugged everything in, added a track in Reaper, armed it, and hit record. Then I rendered the files out to a wav.

Since I'm a complete beginner, maybe I'm doing something totally wrong, but I would have no idea where to begin looking for the solution to the problem.
Please, anyone that can help, chime in here. Thanks!

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the zoo!
First, obvious point is level. What sort of reading are you getting on Reaper's meters? You should be running an average of -20/-18dBFS and peaking no higher than -12dBFS. This assumes 24bits and 44.1Khz.

If your levels are right but you still have distortion get your post count up so you can send in a sample ,for those with functioning lugs, to judge.
The "reverberation" is almost certainly your room intruding. Does that mic have an attenuator switch? If so engage it and get closer. Also check the stickies about room treatment...Duvets and such.

Dave.

Hey
I'm Alan. I'm a singer songwriter and came across the forum recently. I purchased a Tascam DP 24 which opened up new challanges ie: mixing, EQ, and other sound modifiers. Having come off tape recording and elementary mixing, I struggle to hear what you experienced mixers are relating to each other. However, I do desire to make good recordings, so I'm learning to listen.

hewro, everyone i know calls me sockett (last name) and i know very little about recording but i wanna give it a shot. I do know how to play guitar, bass, and i can play just about anything (yes even rush songs) on the drums which is where my heart truly lies. BTW if u know where to find the cheapest laptop that can run a 8 track usb mixer while all 8 track are recording PLEASE link me into that direction.
Thanks!

Hi everyone! My name is Drew. I started a band with a few of my friends, and this has gotten me to begin to think about home recording, and so I bought an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2), and a microphone (MXL 770). I still have a few questions of how to get all this home recording equipment up and running, so I decided to mozy on down to a forum, where I don't actually have to talk to anyone face to face. I hope that this forum will be helpful to all!

Hello everyone. My name's Gordon & I've just recently got into this minefield. I'm 50 and haven't played a musical instrument in my life. For most of those years I've been a couch critic of recordings and now I figure it's time for me to start learning how things really work. To this end I've bought a copy of Logic Pro X and also a Novation Impulse 49 MIDI controller. I have soooo many questions.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and if I can be of help to others I'll do my best.

Gordon.

Hello everyone. My name's Gordon & I've just recently got into this minefield. I'm 50 and haven't played a musical instrument in my life. For most of those years I've been a couch critic of recordings and now I figure it's time for me to start learning how things really work. To this end I've bought a copy of Logic Pro X and also a Novation Impulse 49 MIDI controller. I have soooo many questions.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and if I can be of help to others I'll do my best.

Gordon.

Hello Gordon and welcome.
I am no musician either, more your old 'tronics bottle jockey but I have to wonder why you have splashed out on those particular items in view of your self professed lack of knowledge?

The MIDI controller looks fine (Novation Impulse 49) and Logic is, I have heard a very able DAW (I assume you are on a mac? If so this is probably the last you will hear of me unless you have an hardware, electrics problem) but again, what prompted the choice?

The key item you seem to have missed is an Audio Interface and since your interest seems to be in MIDI systems you are going to need an AI with very low latency.
The best deal in town sub $300 IMHO is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. It is definitely mac friendly (and Linux) and comes with Cubase, Kontakt player and a shedload of downloadable samples.

Dave.

hewro, everyone i know calls me sockett (last name) and i know very little about recording but i wanna give it a shot. I do know how to play guitar, bass, and i can play just about anything (yes even rush songs) on the drums which is where my heart truly lies. BTW if u know where to find the cheapest laptop that can run a 8 track usb mixer while all 8 track are recording PLEASE link me into that direction.
Thanks!

Sockett, recording 8 tracks at the same time won't be an issue with almost any laptop you can purchase today. I purchased a low end HP laptop and recorded 14 tracks, no issues. But, I was just tracking, little monitoring, just recording. Made sure my level were decent (mainly picking everything up and no clipping) and the laptop did just fine. Where you find the power comes into play will be when you are doing the mixing and plug ins (VSTs).

What I did is use the laptop for tracking, then use a desktop for mixing and final output. The advantage to this type of setup is that, powerful desktops are cheap and low end laptops are cheap. If you have a decent desktop (AMD Quad+ or i5 and above), good RAM (8-16 is the norm), that will give you your mixing station, then look for a laptop that will track. The one I use cost about $220, dual core AMD, 4Gb RAM and 500Gb HD, all running through USB.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of how you can approach the situation.

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome. Yeah I'm on a Mac so Logic seemed to be the logical choice. The keyboard was bought because I got a good deal on it, no other reason. I have no idea about audio interfaces I'm afraid. I'm not even sure I understand why I need one, lol. I also have the Lite version of Ableton Live but I haven't really attempted to use it as yet.

I'm not so much able to make original music but I'm fascinated by the process of laying down tracks & mixing everything together. I'm a Shpongle fan so maybe that explains it, lol.

Gordon.

Back