New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi all. I am Tim Webber from Edmonton Alberta. My sons into drums so I have dug out the guitars and we are trying to record some songs for fun.

I have a telecaster and ibanez rg7620, a zoom h6, fender princeton, friedman ASM12 and a cheap amp modeller moore ge150. The friedman, zoom and amp modeller are new.

We want to have fun creating music.

Welcome @DannyMcO! You'll find plenty of advice -- and perhaps a bit of humor sprinkled here and there -- on this forum. Looking forward to discussing!
And re that "humour'? Be warned 'new newbs' folks here can sometimes be thought cruel or otherwise not nice. That I assure you is unintentional and just their personal idea of a joke or witty response...PLEASE do not be offended at the first stab! You don't need the skin of a crocodile but something thicker than an amoeba is required!

I say all this because we have had folks bristle and leave after one chance remark that they have taken offence to. And that is a shame.

Dave.

My name is Max and I'm new to this site. I am from the reel-to-reel tape-recording era and have a lot of old reel recordings of my band from decades ago. I have been searching for a reel-to-reel player so that I can digitize my old recordings. I digitized all my old pictures and video recordings 20 years ago when home computers became capable of doing the task at home. I found one company in Texas that sells reel players, but they are very expensive with the cheapest being $5000. In 2017 I took some courses to learn modern recording software like Pro Tools and Ableton. I also took courses for Serato DJ, so I know these pretty well and like the ease and options associated with all the modern recording and DJ software.

My name is Max and I'm new to this site. I am from the reel-to-reel tape-recording era and have a lot of old reel recordings of my band from decades ago. I have been searching for a reel-to-reel player so that I can digitize my old recordings. I digitized all my old pictures and video recordings 20 years ago when home computers became capable of doing the task at home. I found one company in Texas that sells reel players, but they are very expensive with the cheapest being $5000. In 2017 I took some courses to learn modern recording software like Pro Tools and Ableton. I also took courses for Serato DJ, so I know these pretty well and like the ease and options associated with all the modern recording and DJ software.
Welcome :) What styles did/do you tend towards?

Hi Max, what format are your tapes in? This determines the sort of machine you need and the likely cost.

Here in UK you could find a 1/4" 4 track machine running 15ips and handling NAB spools for £500 to £1000 depending upon make and condition. 1/2" and bigger multi-tracks are going to be a lot more money.

If however you tapes are on 7" reels at 7.5ips and simple stereo then you could look for a good "domestic" recorder such as the Sony TC177. Whatever recorder you get you are likely to have to 'tweak' the replay head azimuth alignment to get the best HF response

There are several 'top blokes' on the forum with good tape machines and they might be willing to offer you a transcription service?

Dave.

My tapes are 1/4 inch. There is one company in Texas here that refurbishes reel tape machines with the cheapest being around $5000 and the highest being $50,000. I have talked to them and will probably buy one. I would only need it for a week to a month to digitize my recordings so a lot to spend for that. Another option would be to sell it after I get done with it. There is the fact that the magnetic tapes could be damaged or corrupted and not play at all. These tapes are from the 70's & 80's but kept in an air conditioned/climate-controlled surroundings all this time. There are a few companies that will digitize them for you, but you have to send them to the company and take the chance that something might happen to them in transit. As for the recording speed and mono/stereo, we were teenagers in the early 70's and tape was expensive back then to us so we would sometimes record in mono and use each left and right track on both sides of the tape for separate recordings and use different speeds to extend our recording time. I have checked schools, pawn shops, craigslist and other avenues to locate a cheaper unit. Although I have seen some for sale, they are sold as is and no guarantee they will work. I might take the drive and go personally test some of these tape machines or drive the 1500 miles to a company that digitizes them and just stay and monitor their work in person. Anyways, in my older years and the desire to listen to these tapes again, I will probably spend the money and utilize one of these aforementioned options within the next year.

Max, do you remember the make and model of the machine(s) you used back then? I doubt it was even "semi-pro"? Like say a Revox A77. You need to know the head format. Most likely 1/4 track stereo so you got two stereo recordings on one tape. Very early machines were 1/2 track mono. I had a Philips machine in the format. Your tapes are almost certainly recorded at 7.5ips or 3/3/4ips, maybe a mix of both. You need you see to get the right head format and the right speeds, especially for that sort of money!

Which seems a LOT! You could almost fly over here and give me $700 for my Teac A 3440 for $5000!

I suggest you first of all look for a technician that can refurbish tape machines (a tape club?) If you can find a good man THEN you can look on the Bay for a deck. I have had a quick look here and the aforementioned Revox A77 can be found for £600 or so. A very nice machine.

Dave.

Max, do you remember the make and model of the machine(s) you used back then? I doubt it was even "semi-pro"? Like say a Revox A77. You need to know the head format. Most likely 1/4 track stereo so you got two stereo recordings on one tape. Very early machines were 1/2 track mono. I had a Philips machine in the format. Your tapes are almost certainly recorded at 7.5ips or 3/3/4ips, maybe a mix of both. You need you see to get the right head format and the right speeds, especially for that sort of money!

Which seems a LOT! You could almost fly over here and give me $700 for my Teac A 3440 for $5000!

I suggest you first of all look for a technician that can refurbish tape machines (a tape club?) If you can find a good man THEN you can look on the Bay for a deck. I have had a quick look here and the aforementioned Revox A77 can be found for £600 or so. A very nice machine.

Dave.
Finding one is not an easy task here in the states, but I might eventually run into someone who still owns one. Only a couple of these tapes were done in a real studio on professional equipment, but the others were done on my home deck. I think it was an entry level Teac. From what I remember, I think I could get left and right stereo on one side and then turn the tape over and get another left and right side. It's been a long time, but I still have the tapes. Anything could be on these tapes, and I mean anything. LOL. It would be amusing to see what is actually on these in between sets of our music. I researched for a year here and the only company I found was in Texas which is 1500 miles from me. I might just have to plan a vacation and go that way later this year. I would love to buy your working Teac if you weren't halfway around the world:) This is the last archival project on my list. I have even digitized my parents and relatives 8mm video from the 50's. Max

Welcome :) What styles did/do you tend towards?
I prefer playing all types of rock music, but I've played many types in cover bands over the decades. I play guitar, bass and some keyboards. Sometimes you have to play what the venue and people want to hear. I live in the Florida Keys which is a tourist area, so people who travel here and go out to the bars want to hear music that once meant something to them. Old favorites. I started my first band while in high school and played in clubs around Atlanta and middle Georgia when I was in college. I worked a career in electronics for defense contractors and took an early semi-retirement and moved to the Florida Keys 20 years ago. I have played in several bands down here on and off since moving here. I love to play at home and doing some recording which is why I am checking out this home recording forum. I am planning to set up a new music room in my home later this year.

And re that "humour'? Be warned 'new newbs' folks here can sometimes be thought cruel or otherwise not nice. That I assure you is unintentional and just their personal idea of a joke or witty response...PLEASE do not be offended at the first stab! You don't need the skin of a crocodile but something thicker than an amoeba is required!

I say all this because we have had folks bristle and leave after one chance remark that they have taken offence to. And that is a shame.

Dave.
Those kinds of people are on all these music related forums I use. I think some of them live their lives on these forums. I can give it as good as I can take it if necessary:) Not my first rodeo.

Hi I’m Tracy, Warren, NJ just joined. Does anyone happen to know the DigiTech model that channel 119 puts sn octave above with strings? I used to have the model, but it got stolen before I moved from Florida, I’m trying to replace it please and thank you hopefully you all have a blessed and prosperous day stay safe

Back