New hardware choices

mcowing

Not a total newb but have a newb question.

Any advice on USB audio interfaces?

I've been using an M-audio USB duo (2000's) USB interface since they were new. They stopped making drivers after WinXP so I've been using ASIO4all. The lack of output volume control on the interface has lead me to believe I need a new interface. If you see from my other thread about my interface I had trouble routing audio so that I can hear my computer sounds (youtube, itunes, etc) at the same time as my DAW (Ableton) in Windows 10.

SO, I'm looking for something simple. I was looking at the Yamaha AG series mixers with usb interface built in. But that may be overkill. I basically only use it for electric guitar, but maybe mics in the future. If I stick with m-audio I've been looking at the m track 2x2m.

So many interfaces in the 2 input range have the same specs, so it must come down to pre-amp quality, longevity and user preference. All advice is appreciated!

My top reccy for a 'not quite' basic interface has been the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 for some years and nothing has come along AFAIK to challenge it*. Why?
The AI has two very clean mic amps and the usual balanced line inputs/ high impedance instrument inputs (with decent headroom of around +10dBu IIRC) MIDI in and out plus two more balanced inputs giving you 4 track analogue recording capability plus S/PDIF. But, the major reason I cling to the KA6 as a good option is the drivers. I have had over 1/2 doz AIs over the last 10 years and nothing has been as stable or 'unfussy' as the KA. I go weeks and not use it but whenever and wherever I plug it in it just bloody works! The latency is also lower than anything else you are likely to see except RME (Google them if you don't know!)
The interface runs about £160-£180 now.

However I have been told by an impeccable source that the Zoom UAC-2 has slightly better converters but the same source admits that the difference would only be apparent (if at all) to someone with £1000+ monitors and a very well treated room. The Zoom is also USB 3.0 but I don't know if it works on USB 2.0.

The Focusrite 2i2 (no MIDI) has many followers, not sure why! It is an excellent interface of course, especially the new, gen' 2 but I still doubt the drivers are as good as the KA6?

Better value for money is the Steinberg UR22 (has MIDI and Cubase as does the KA6) . The 2x2 Tascams are also worth a look. Behringer interfaces are very cheap but seem to be ok but I have learned of more bad business from Uli and I now will not recommend his products.

Mixer? Not unless you have plans to get others involved and jam? If you DO go down the mixer route make sure it is a 24 bit device and note most can only record and play a stereo mix down. In any case there is only really one good one IMHO, A&H ZED 10.

Dave.

I get the need for a general USB sound device, but also, don't loose sight of guitar specific interfaces

Thank you ecc83 and garww for you replies!
ecc83, I looked into NI komplete and it indeed looks like a great unit, however it seems it has been out for a few years and the latest drivers are 2 years old now. With all the optimisation in windows 10 I want to make sure the interface I get is fairly new. The zoom looks like another option too.

Garww, what do you mean 'guitar specific interfaces'?

Along with the M-audio I've checked out Tascam, Steinberg, focusrite, presonus and Audient. Too many choices...

New, this year, over here is the little Peavey VIP-1 amp - USB. Old, over here, is the Vox ToneLab ST - USB.

Not sound cards, but USB guitar interfaces. Headphone jacks, but not, really, designed for sound card work

[h=1]Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 USB Interface, etc..[/h]

Along with the M-audio I've checked out Tascam, Steinberg, focusrite, presonus and Audient. Too many choices...

Any one of these will give you what you want. The quality of the analog sections and converters are going to be nearly the same for all of them. The drivers might make a difference, though when talking about latency, you might be splitting hairs. Anything new will have Win10 drivers and/or the Win7 drivers will work.

I have the 2i2, don't use it much, but have been able to get very low latency. The lack of midi interface that Dave (always!!) pointed out is not much of a detractor as most midi devices run on USB... and you didn't mention the need for midi.

The one thing I don't like about the 2i2 is the lack of "blend" or "mix" knob. I like the ability to balance the recorded channel with the playback channel on the unit. As it is with the 2i2, you have to adjust the level of the master bus in software when recording a new track. The focusrite 2i4 has the blend knob.

I don't have any experience with the other brands.

It kind of comes down to pick one with the features that match your needs the best and at the best price and go for it.

I've yet to pull the trigger but I am pretty sure I will purchasing one of the Behringer U-phoria units...pretty new and getting fantastic reviews. Also regularly on back order. Behringer in 2017 is not Behringer of 2007 they are part of a quite impressive groups of music manufacturers and seem to be upping their game while bring great value..

The Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD at $99 is a no brainer..... 5 stars at Sweetwater

24-bit/192kHz, 4-in/4-out USB 2.0 Audio Interface with 4 MIDAS Preamps, Phantom Power, Inserts, and good old fashioned MIDI I/O

For $300 smakers the 1820 has a 8 in and out and for a few hundred more can expand to 18 in and outs....

Last edited:
"
ecc83, I looked into NI komplete and it indeed looks like a great unit, however it seems it has been out for a few years and the latest drivers are 2 years old now. With all the optimisation in windows 10 I want to make sure the interface I get is fairly new" Your choice of course but NI were very quick to bring out W10 drivers and they have an easy path on site to firmware updates.

TAE. I had just about forgiven Behringer their past dodgy dealing and yes indeed, with the coming of the X32 it seemed they had at last seen an 'ethical light'. The mixer was give a very good review in Sound on Sound but of course the readership were very wary of the company. At one point is was said the Uli Behringer was going to do an interview..He bottled it. I had JUST about forgiven them for the blatant copies of my old company's products, the HT-5 and the HT-20 but recently learned that they bought out TC Electronics and stopped production of the DICE chip EXCEPT for their own products.

Some have tried to justify the action as 'just good business sense'? I call it anti-competition.

Dave.

"The lack of midi interface that Dave (always!!) pointed out is not much of a detractor as most midi devices run on USB... and you didn't mention the need for midi. "

And Mr C, I shall ALWAYS point out that MOST MIDI devices that run on USB DON'T have a MIDI input!

Dave.

Either way, he is just recording guitar and wanting DAW ASIO, while expecting system audio at the same time

This is all great advice! Thanks everyone. The new Behringer options look good, the NI Komplete still looks good. Honestly, I just need to pick something. Either way, this piece of hardware isn't going to make me a better song writer.

I had missed an AI that might interest you (especially if MIDI is out of the picture) and that is the Presonus iD4.

Just your bog S 2 in 2 out but said to have superb mic pre amps, a good DI input and excellent converter quality.

Dave.

Oops! Just got back from a gastroscopy and still a bit blurred round the edges. That is of course the Audient iD4!

Dave.

That is of course the Audient iD4!

I've looked at that too, I've been leaning toward it actually. Found a used one locally, trying to negotiate a good price.

I have a midi controller, but like everyone said it is USB. Trying to imagine if I'd ever need midi in the future.

MIDI can be contained on a MIDI module/composer - like a computer. The external controller is , basically, to help get a better/quicker performance

"
Some have tried to justify the action as 'just good business sense'? I call it anti-competition.

IMO it's both...in business one key to success is to differentiate yourself from your competitors with superior products at a good value. Seems that is what they have done in this case. It's a chess game and the other competitors just have to figure out the next move to take market share back...This is what free enterprise thrives on and propagates innovation... or not ;)

No one has mentioned M-audio... Are they not talked about on this forum? haha my current interface and midi controller are both m-audio, and I've gotten tons of life out of them.

There is a degree of hipness in the Audio buying public : ) I bought a M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro as the product was discounted over its product life. It never got that hip to be seen with one ! We have to keep up with the Jones's. That's fine for me, as I can buy great stuff that no one wants

Back