New to the forum!

Crank

Hi guys!

I'm new here to the forum, I've been in the industry itself for about a decade and been into the engineering side of the world for about 4 years going on 5 now!

I'm from Melbourne, Australia! So are there any other aussies here?!

I run my own recording studio, and I'm always open to helping new engineers in their path to their next good mix!

So... hi!

:)

Welcome Crank!

There are quite a few here from your neck of the woods. Some of them are a bit suspicious characters tho...lol

In my neck of the woods, I ride my kangaroo to and from the work studio.

I've pretty much done all the Aussie critter jokes by now.... drop bears, snakes, sharks, roos etc.... I'm afraid it's a barren field for you.

Sydney, but I know where Melbourne is.:thumbs up:

We also have, amongst the regulars, rayc - Sydneyish, witzendoz - Freoish, gecko - Tassie and a few others who haunt different forums than I and/or merely drop in from time to time.

Welcome.:thumbs up:

---------- Update ----------

Some of them are a bit suspicious characters tho...lol

Oi!:mad:

I'm also new to the forum.

Signed up for guidance on my quest into the world of digital home recording.

I want to acquire the "bare bones" essentials to record guitar, bass, drums, and vocals.

I like GarageBand and know how to use it and want to start there before moving on to ProTools or whatever pro interface I choose.

I have my instruments and need help choosing mics.

What do you recommend?

I want quality mics that can remain useful down the line, but haven't developed a taste that would necessitate a $900 condenser.

One mic for vocals
Mic for guitar/bass through amp
For drums, I can't afford a mic for each drum. I was thinking one for bass drum/bass drum & snare, and two mics for overhead/room mic.

So 6 mics, maximum. A Mic I can use multipurpose is ideal cause every mic that has multiple uses, I can spend more $$ for higher quality. Having said that, I don't want to spend more just because. If I save $$ in one place I could also spend more to acquire more mics.

All I know is that SM-57 are popular
I'll need at least one condenser mic

Other then that, I am clueless. Any pointers/advice you can give me would be awesome!

*as I collect gear, I won't use/buy anything that cannot remain in my arsenal. (I won't buy cheap crap that I'll have to upgrade/replace later).
Music isn't a hobby that I've been doing more lately; music is a huge/permanent part of my life, so everything I acquire needs to be, at least, decent quality.

This is an ENORMOUSLY open-ended inquiry. Anyone with any tips/suggestions, please, bring it on!!!

I'm also new to the forum.

Signed up for guidance on my quest into the world of digital home recording.

I want to acquire the "bare bones" essentials to record guitar, bass, drums, and vocals.

I like GarageBand and know how to use it and want to start there before moving on to ProTools or whatever pro interface I choose.

I have my instruments and need help choosing mics.

What do you recommend?

I want quality mics that can remain useful down the line, but haven't developed a taste that would necessitate a $900 condenser.

One mic for vocals
Mic for guitar/bass through amp
For drums, I can't afford a mic for each drum. I was thinking one for bass drum/bass drum & snare, and two mics for overhead/room mic.

So 6 mics, maximum. A Mic I can use multipurpose is ideal cause every mic that has multiple uses, I can spend more $$ for higher quality. Having said that, I don't want to spend more just because. If I save $$ in one place I could also spend more to acquire more mics.

All I know is that SM-57 are popular
I'll need at least one condenser mic

Other then that, I am clueless. Any pointers/advice you can give me would be awesome!

*as I collect gear, I won't use/buy anything that cannot remain in my arsenal. (I won't buy cheap crap that I'll have to upgrade/replace later).
Music isn't a hobby that I've been doing more lately; music is a huge/permanent part of my life, so everything I acquire needs to be, at least, decent quality.

This is an ENORMOUSLY open-ended inquiry. Anyone with any tips/suggestions, please, bring it on!!!

I have quite a lot of microphones, it becomes an addiction if the microphone is worth $50 or $1500+
I started with SM58. Perfect for beginners.
Can be put on a snare, vocals, almost anything besides using it like a condenser.

Get yourself a SM58 and 57 to start with.
As for a condenser I highly recommend the RØDE NT1A.

Amazing quality for vocals!

I've also got a SM7B that I'll use on heavier vocals or even a hi hat. Amazing microphone and a must have for every studio!

I'm waiting on some MXL condenser microphones to arrive - I'll keep you updated on them!

For drums you can get some Takstars for around $300. Comes with over heads, kick drum microphone, snare and toms. Great for low budget beginners.

As for a DAW. I started with pro tools and went to REAPER. I found reaper more stable, easier and in general more user friendly.

Are you Mac or Windows?

Hope I was much help!

PS Riding emus is faster.

I've used my MXL 2001 two 57s for everything I've had to mike for the last 9 years. It's all I've got, and it's all I need. Agree with the 7B, would love to have one, and it's high on my list of "if the budget ever opens up" items. :)

Welcome to the site, you two!

Crank,
Melbourne!
I'm so sorry mate.
You have my commiserations.
Welcome to HR!
It's as good as you want, and help make, it to be.
I'm at the 1st beach south of Sydney.
It's a great place. We celebrated Australia Day in traditional style - really trad dad! No electricity, no mod cons, billy tea on the camping stove etc.
Seems the power goes out on Australia Day quite frequently - it only happened 8 times this Oz Day.
Being close to Sydney doesn't guarantee much.
Being here does guarantee some laughs - particularly when David coughs while typing. The MP3 Clinic is often great, the New Tone Thread is for comparing & contrasting guitar tones and there're some dedicated axemen there - no shredding though.
Your expertise and perspective will be good to add to the mix.
Do us all a favour - it's a perennial here - post some clips of your work so we know you're the full 2 bob.
Again, welcome.

Back