Networking and getting clients into the studio.

Monaco

My partner and I are almost finished building out our home studio and we'll need to get clients soon. We decided it best not to compete with the enterprise-class studios that are equipped to record large bands and orchestras and start a budget/economy production company offering affordable demo tapes, jingles, mixing, ect...

What are some ways to get clients?

word of mouth

and someting about the work you do that says "this is a cool place to record, let's go here instead of somehwere else"

what is that you have that differentiates you from other choices?

Talk to other Musician friends about recording them, go to open mic nights with business cards and talk to the performers, leave some cards at the local music shops.

It will build up word of mouth, acts will come in if they like it they will tell their friends, bands will break up and the members new bands will come to you. 90% of my work is past clients coming back or their friends on recommendation.

Alan

And.....Do anything! Temptation is to stick to forms and genres that you like. Do voice overs, AmDram societies, schools, AGMs.

Do you have a decent portable rig?

Dave.

Post ads on Craigslist
Post ads on Kijiji
Post ads on Facebook
Post ads on Youtube
Post ads on Music Store BB
Put a link in your sig and join every music forum on the internet

Try Thumbtack. I've used it, and what happens is they send you leads, and you have to pony up $2.99 for every proposal you send out. I've had mixed results with it--you wind up with people who get cold feet when it comes time to show up, folks who are not quite as talented as they like to think they are, etc. All the things you might imagine could happen. There are a lot of people out there who want to sing and rap and compose, believe you me.
Most people don't have the money to pay a more established studio, so they are looking for a cheap alternative to get their stuff out there. You wind up having to separate the wheat from the chaff--after a while you recognize that "artists" who simply want to remake a Beyoncé song probably aren't what you want to deal with. I'm on the lookout for performers who are keen to sing their own songs, or collaborate with others to come up with something new.

Last edited:
Back