Need tips for micing rap vocals

Professa Plum

never recorded vocals before..I'm starting to record vocals for my hiphop project, so the "singer" is going to be rapping. We currently plan on using a sm57. I do have access to a 58, do you think this will make that big of a difference? should we be using that and not bother with the 57? I'm wondering what are some tips about recording vocals? how should the mic be pointed? how far away should he be? ideas for compression settings? any help and tips for this would be appreciated

If you must use a 57 or 58...

Keep your rapper (?) about 8-12" away. You might want to try micing on a downward angle, i.e. have the mic pointed down at the vocal (that was a dumb explanation). My general feel is that most rap vocals are aggressive (in delivery, not always content) so you have to watch out for Ps, B, and other syllables that may "pop".

Depending on how loud your rapper is, that will also influence the mic placement.

I don't know shit about compressors...

This is a dumb question.

But can rappers rap without holding the mic in their hands?

I've never seen a rapper use a mic stand.

if people are serious about recording, they either should be able to (not hold a mic) or better learn.. it's not just rappers, a lot of styles of music (and their respective "singers") think that they won't be able to, but they usually end up being fine... try a hardcore/metal singer to give up his hand held mic.. then try to make him stand still... makes a rapper holding a 58 look like nother... actually maybe you might want to let him try a run holding the mic, the proximity effect might sound good (likewise it might sound bad)... you wouldn't want to try this with a condensor though, even little movement (not jumping around, just little shifting in the hands) will show up on tape (or harddrive as it may be..)

Professa,

I have had success recording rap vocals with an SM58, because it's all that we had at the time. The rapper was about 4 inches from the mic. I wanted an in your face sound, so I used the mic close-up. The mic was pointed straight ahead.

We were recording to analog tape (a Tascam 1/4inch 4-track), which I favor for rap (analog). Things just sat better than I think they would have in digital. I didn't use any compression, because the tape compressed the vocals naturally. I did use a little compression during mixdown (3:1 ratio, fast attack, slow release, threshhold at ~ -15 to -20).

I've recorded rap vocals several times in the last year and a half. My first experiences recording it was with a Tascam DA-88 (Digital 8-track). We recorded it with a condensor mic. We got great clean tracks, but with digital you have to use a lot of compression to make it have that aggressive in your face sound you hear on CD's and radio. If you're recording to digital, I suggest that you record with a little compression (3:1 ratio, moderate threshhold, fast attack and moderate release). Then use a little compression during mixdown (2:1 to 4:1, etc). I'm staying away from numbers, because every track is different. Hope this helps.

Rev E

[This message has been edited by Rev E (edited 05-31-2000).]

my advice is to get a pop filter(or make one out of ur girlfriends panty hose) this will help cut all those nasty p's and s's. the 57 of 58 should work fine...try both. aim the mike at the mouth(a foot away is much to far, try 5 inches) and dont let him turn his head to read the lyrics. as for holding the mic...ive never seen anyone in a studio do that. compress moderately at 2:1 and u should have urself a nice trac.

Hey Professa,
I agree with the compression ratios,2:1,3:1,but depending on the rapper don't be suprised if you use a little more than that. Don't be afraid to squeeze the vocals. This only applies to rap. Given the mic,SM58, and the dynamics usually involved with the vocals,it helps sit the vox track in the mix better if the track is compressed heavier than normal. Also a pop filter is a good idea and having the mic aimed just below the mouth will help with the P's. Also having him rap slightly off axis of the mic will work to.

Back