In need of some serious advice (long post)

G_Travis

So this is a little off-topic, but I'm having a quarter-life crisis and I could really use some outside opinions and some intelligent advice. I'm 25 and I've been dabbling with music on and off for a few years. I graduated from college with a Finance degree in August of '09 and I'm a 2lt in the Army Reserves. I've been struggling with what I want to do for a career and I've been doing a lot of thinking about where I am in life and where it is that I really want to go. I'm very ambitious and I'm very dedicated, but I'm currently stuck living with my parents in a place with little opportunity and not a lot of money. My family has never really been supportive of me and my ambitions, so I know that whatever path I take in life is going to be a very long and lonely journey. I feel like this place is sucking out all of my inspiration and drive, but I don't want to be rash and move to a place that is bad for me or that I can't afford. Also, I always have to be mindful of my military obligation and somehow work that into the equation.

Alright, so my background out of the way, I am really struggling with my newfound desire to pursue my love of music and my age, location, and military obligation. I've been working on my production capabilities using FL studio 9 and vocal abilities (rapping / singing) using audacity for playback and I have made a few tracks that people like but I know that I have a long way to go. I want to pursue a career as both an artist and as a producer. I could really use some advice on what equipment I need to invest in, the road I should be following, and the most efficient way to develop the skills and talent that I will need to succeed in this industry.

So basically my question to you guys is that if you were me, what would you do in order to add vision and a path to this dream and to turn it into a reality? And at 25... is it just too late?

I realize that if I want to stand a chance I need to be very efficient and focused and I am willing to put in work. You are all much wiser than me and I am confident that you will point me in the right direction!

Go with your heart, if you strive for success, success is what you WILL get. Anything can happen, attend Full Sail University for 2 years of music production if you have to. Your in the army, schooling is free right? If your just looking to rap/sing, you need a mic (I recomend the st59 to everyone as its cheap and a fairly decent mic.) A vocal compressor, an interface (lexicon is pretty cheap). A computer, mac or pc just what every your comfortable with. A boom stand (studio mic stand), pop stop, a room, room treatment, cables and such. Good luck to you, if you need any more help, message me and ill help any way i can.! Welcome to HR!

This is not the answer you want to hear.

I am 46 and feel like life is open and I can do anything I want! I have obligations, but I also have choices. If I was 25, well I think you can get my drift.

Move out, get a job, earn some money, do what you want while keeping up your obligations. If the town is holding you back, move somewhere else. You say you are ambitious, but I think you let your fears lead the way.

You may not want to jump in at once, but at least dunk your toe in and see what the waters like.

Best of luck to you. You have so much to look forward too!

Don't let anyone fool you!!! Everyone hear at the HR.com board are all well over 150 years old,... being in the recording biz will extend your life expectancy by quite a bit :laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

So it doesn't matter what age you are take the leap of faith and don't look back.

Well, if you have a finance degree, put that to work. Get a job that pays you well for doing what you're trained to do... If that means moving to a larger city, or whatever, then do it. I don't know how the reserves works as far as you relocating (like, can you tell them you are relocating and report to a different base or something?). Bonus if you can find a good paying job using your degree that somehow relates to the music biz. Once you are making some money, and living your own life, you have time to decide how you want to develop your music... maybe a career, maybe a passionate hobby. Once you are making your own money, you can spend it however you see fit... gear? training? etc... my 2c. (FYI, I'm not much older than you)

Thanks for all the advice / responses... I was expecting a lot of negativity haha

Alright, so you have convinced me to take the plunge and just move out...I guess the new problem is where, and how do I make this happen? I have always wanted to move out west (I currently live in Va), are there any cities that support people like me and what would be a good way to use my degree to get into the music industry?

Thanks for all the advice / responses... I was expecting a lot of negativity haha

Alright, so you have convinced me to take the plunge and just move out...I guess the new problem is where, and how do I make this happen? I have always wanted to move out west (I currently live in Va), are there any cities that support people like me and what would be a good way to use my degree to get into the music industry?

Where did you get your degree from? Obviously jobs can be a bit scarce right now... If you go back and talk to your school, most colleges have people that help with job placement or at least job hunting. Otherwise, hit up monster or career builder one of the other online job classifieds, polish up your resume and start sending it out... What about other people you went to school with? Anyone of your classmates move away or work for a company with multiple locations? Maybe they can help you make contacts. Moving to a different city can be complicated and expensive. You may have to settle for less than your dream job to get into the city you want to be in. But, once you're there, theres a big hurrdle out of the way. (with all that said, I'm a total homebody, and chances are low that I'll move away from my home city)

People are generally only negative around here when people have a) a bad attitude or b) ask dumb questions. :laughings:

Well, if you have a finance degree, put that to work. Get a job that pays you well for doing what you're trained to do... If that means moving to a larger city, or whatever, then do it. I don't know how the reserves works as far as you relocating (like, can you tell them you are relocating and report to a different base or something?). Bonus if you can find a good paying job using your degree that somehow relates to the music biz. Once you are making some money, and living your own life, you have time to decide how you want to develop your music... maybe a career, maybe a passionate hobby. Once you are making your own money, you can spend it however you see fit... gear? training? etc... my 2c. (FYI, I'm not much older than you)

First of all, let me thank you for your job as a Reservist..I have BIG respect for those involved in our Military keeping us safe while we try and make music..!..:cool:..Now, I agree with Jeff.. Use your degree to see where that take you. Not trying to deterr your desire to do music, it's that it's such a demanding business and just starting out can really wear havoc.If you do decide to go the music route, don't go in expecting to get rich..!.Do it for the love of it and in due time, you hard work will pay off..Funny thing, I'm still waiting for my due time..!..:D...Good luck

Use your degree to see where that take you.

Unless you can honestly say you are very talented (what exactly do you do...sing, play, etc?)...don't walk away from a good paying day job too quick. :)

I'm not saying not to pursue your music dreams...I'm saying USE the degree and paying day job to facilitate them!!! :cool:
I wish I was smart enough at 25 to do that, but instead I followed the more typical "Got no money, got no job, but I'm in a band!" path :D ...and while it was a lot of fun, after several bands, it got worn out.
Then I decided to set up a small "studio" (very basic 4-track) and just record my music. That was fun too, but I didn't have the $$$ to get any pro-gear (back in my 20's, there wasn't a lot of home/project studio gear)...so the most I got out of my "studio" was demo-quality stuff.

FF to today...I'm not in my 20s any more :( ...but I now have a great little studio and I'm finally able to record music the way I wanted to do back in my 20s because I have a day gig that funds my audio/music desires.

I know a day gig can take up your time and sometimes "get in the way" of your creative freedom...but not if you play it smart. Do the day gig strictly for the money...and then pour the rest of your time/energy into your music aspirations. When you think your music is "close" and you need to break away from the day job...then make that move.
You can do both…there’s no need to be the “starving musician” in order to make it...you just need to stay focused on your music, and understand that the job is there to support your music dreams!

Back