Need a preamp for simple setup

arch_jedi

Ok. Getting the MXL v67g and 1 of the cheaper audiophile cards. As for a preamp, will a $99 power mixer work for the mic, guitar? OR should I get 1 of the preamp/compressor?

Was looking at this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_id/103781 or does a mixer just mud up the sound? Since the actual preamps seem to be specifically for what I need to do then getting the mixer might be a waste. Remember though I'm not looking for great quality:)

(Somehow I blew my audigy external drive which served as my preamp)

arch jedi, the mixer you chose won't work with the v67 because the mic is a condenser, needs phantom power and that mixer doesn't supply it. The preamp that you linked to would work ok.

how are you getting along with ptpa. all ok ??. i posted a number of tips to you. look way back in the newbie section.
the mca sp1 is another cheap mic a lot of folks like.
you know i hear a lot of folks diss behringer, but that tube ultragain will do the job.
bear in mind rock bottom budgets here.
i would look as well at a yamaha mg mixer. you ll get more inputs.. people seem really happy with them. the disadvantage of the ultragain is if you blow it you cant record. with the yamaha you have more channels in case a channel goes down..

So, if a powered mixer is just fine for all my instruments preamping needs then what are all the preamp specific products for? I'm checking musiciansfriend and sam ash..they both have tons of preamp equipment....but you're saying a powered mixer will do the trick?

aj - a powered mixer is different from phantom power on a mic preamp.
i think possibly there is some confusion here.
what is typically referred to as a powered mixer is a mixer
used in a live PA set up with normally a power amplifier built in that
drives the PA speakers when a live band is playing in a club.
you wouldnt use this for recording. well you could , but normally these are not built for recording, and sometimes the specs are not as good as a
recording mixer.
whereas phantom power is a different beat. you need it (48volts DC)
in recording mixers or mic preamps if one is using microphones that need it. ie: phantom powered microphones.
in summary if you anticipate using and buying a phantom powered mic you need to make sure the mixer or mic pre has a 48 volt phantom power feature built in. (in addition powered mixers can also have phantom power built in.
hope this doesnt confuse you).
in summary if you only anticipate using dynamic mics you dont need phantom power.
for a cheap mixer look at the yamaha mg.

Yes I realize I'll need phantom power...from what I've seen most mixers have that capability...isn't that yamaha board a powered mixer?

actually lemee try this question...how can I tell a board used for live sound from a board used for recording...they look very similar :)

ohhh ok by looking at the title of these yamaha boards they are called imput mixers...which I guess has nothing to do with a powered mixer used for PA.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/YAMAHA_MG10_2_10_INPUT_MIXER_MG10_2.html
edit:how about this

re....live board (PA) vs recording.
its easy. just look at the specs. live boards are normally quite big and include a power amplifier to drtive the PA.

yes that yamaha mg10/2 should do you nicely for now PROVIDED
your not going to record a big band with a ton of mics.
its a typical example of what a lot of folks would use.
it also has phantom power if you notice.
it wont do you however FOREVER if you decide you want a big complex studio in the future. just make sure that for some reason if your not happy you can return it. but generally people seem happy with the mg series.
at this price level you wont find anything else imho.

Back