Need a Pre-amp for Vocals, Guitar, Bass and Electronic Drums

Essendon

Hi...

I am after a reccommendation for a pre-amp, that I will be connecting directly to my soundcard. I will need it for vocals, guitar, bass and electronic drums. My electronic drums have a left and right output. So, I guess that means the pre-amp would have to have a left and right input?

I am new to this as you can probably tell. Is there a simple pre-amp that can cater for the left and right input of my drums or the single inputs of my Microphone, guitar and bass? (of course I would only ever need to do one at a time). I won't be having multiple microphones either.

I am after one that is cheap but ok.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anybody can give me....

You only need a preamp for signals that are not already at line level. The electronic drums are no doubt at line level already. You should plug that straight into the soundcard, the preamp will only add distortion to it.

There are stereo preamps available, but it sounds like you only need a single channel.

AlChuck said:
You only need a preamp for signals that are not already at line level. The electronic drums are no doubt at line level already. You should plug that straight into the soundcard, the preamp will only add distortion to it.

There are stereo preamps available, but it sounds like you only need a single channel.

Oh ok.

Could you reccommend a cheap single channel pre-amp?

Thanks for your reply.

>The electronic drums are no doubt at line level already

Supposedly, but my Roland SC-88 found benefit from the gain available in the dbx 386 for injection into the Gina with no "soft" boost at the input. I run the RCA outs from the Canvas into the 1/4" instrument ins on the dbx with a Monster cable. From there via S/PDIF into GINA while sending the analog out into my mixer for monitoring.

try a grace design 101 for under $600 dollars. you could also wait for the fmr rnmp which will be coming out sometime in the near future for around $400 which is supposed to be a really good pre
and theres also alan hyatt's preamp which is do out soon for around $250.

i'd stay away from the art pre's.

What about the Behringer Eurorack MX602A?

Does anybody have this? Would this be a good preamp? It is nice an cheap and would allow me to use multiple microphones if recording acoustic drums in the future. Do you think I can get better quality single channel pre-amps that are around the same price?

Thanks for the Suggestions so far...

Those Behringer preamps are fine for my needs, but I am not imagining that I'm going to be recording professional master recordings with my humble little setup.

AlChuck said:

Maybe I shouldn't be speaking here, BUT I recently got some great recording advice from BLUE BEAR SOUND, "get the most expensive pre you can afford, and use it often." Don't want to misquote him, but I think that means you would want to send just about everything through it, line level stuff too. I record most things direct and that's what I'll be doing very soon, once I find the right one.

my 2 cents.

later.

79.00 us for the audio buddy at zzounds. two channel so alot of the micing techniques and such can be done with it. not a bad deal man.

Back