Need opinions on a massive purchase

unfortunately recording live, is not an option as for where i live. The pedalboard / rackmount is not just for recording, but also if i have the chance to play live. i will be using a Pc program like amplitude, or one of the many others, but if i cant hear my tone, i cant record it. its kinda difficult to play a song with distortion... and the guitar is clean. Or am i missing something.

as for other effects i know to add them after you are done recording. as i said im just setting myself up to purchase everything i need at once. Minus an amp, and cab, unless i can get one in budget. Even then i wont be able to treat my room,

Right now my plan is Guitar > Interface/Pedlaboard/ (depending) and since i wont be getting the rackmount AND the controller, i can get a nice set of monitors. Now i just need a good starter pair. And i can even afford a little room treatment. But im taking it one step at a time.

You can record directly into a DAW with a interface. You can monitor your playing with whatever VST guitar sim while playing. You don't need to have a pedal effects unit to get your sound before recording.

That is my point.

Do what you need for live tone, but don't think you have to get that perfect just to record.

As I said, in my experience I have never had a good result from a guitar player using a pedal or effects unit to record with. It always just sounds like fizzy mush in mix.

Just recently I had a guitar player with one of those digital pedal boards sent to a vintage marshall amp and mic'd, it sounded like shit. Could have been the player or the unit, but the tone was sooooooo much better without that before the amp.

And yes, that also includes using an amp sim without the pedal board shit in line.

If you insist on using a Line6 or whatever to hear your tone while you record, at least get a direct box and split your signal to record another track directly from your guitar without that so that you have the option to make changes later.

I will bet $50 you will find that will be what you use in the end.

Trust me man, I am just hoping to get you the best results. I am in no way trying to judge or bullshit you.

OOOO i am really sorry there was some miss communication, yeah the pedalboad is for live only. and with the pod or the Boss, i can actually record 2 strings at once, and re amp later or tweak, its why i was so curious about these 2 effects, but i am getting a native instruments interface, proper monitor speakers, and one or more of the PC programs, (most likely all of them, i love variety)

No i understand i love the help i am getting really i mean it!

Now if anyone can suggest a good pair of powered monitors i can use, not horribly expensive, and prefer to buy them in a pair IF possible

trying r to keep a budget of 300 ish. i will be using the monitors and the Dt 990 Headphones for different times, i know recording and mastering with monitors is better, and i will be getting some things to sound treat my room.

"however i will be getting a large amount of Pc programs, since i cant choose to just one. I will try them all."

Yes, that is what the trials are for and all the major players allow you 30days to play around so don't grab them all at once and switch around!. You can keep Reaper of course as a sort of benchmark and see how the other software compares. Reaper is excellent but no DAW software does everything, or at least not in as friendly a way as some other. I for instance like the easy way you can setup in and outs in MAGIX Samplitude* but it is not a well integrated with MIDI as say Cubase (says musical son anyway! I just solder and pay)

*And DO download the demo of Samplitude ProX, Some say it is close to all the DAW you will ever need. Pricey tho!

Dave.

I was looking into that, and was debating it. If it truly has everything i need i don't mind investing after i give it a free trial this summer.

I would love pro tools, but lets face it, its not cheap haha (still need recommendations for a monitor setup.

Also the intercae i am geting will Includes Cubase LE 6, Traktor LE 2 and Komplete Elements - with over 1000 instruments and effects, Reaktor 5 Player, Guitar Rig 5 Player and Kontact 5 Player

So thats at least one DAW i can try out, including Guitar Rig, which is a steal, as i was most likely going to get it anyways.

Monitors:
JBL LSR305s are $300/pair - you can sometimes get them on sale.
Others in same price range:
KRK Rokit 5
Presonus Eris E5
Mackie MR6
M-Audio BX5

You may be able to find some 6" or 8" used monitors in your price range, too.

Awesome! the JBL LSR305s is what i had in mind, just want to make sure they are well balanced, i know with monitors you want a flat sound for mixing and recording

And don't forget Craigslist.

Both my KRK G2 8's and Event TR8's were purchased used for $300 each pair.

The one drawback (for some) with the JBLs - and other monitors of this size - is the rear-firing bass ports. AS I already had traps on my front wall, it was not an issue for me.

The one drawback (for some) with the JBLs - and other monitors of this size - is the rear-firing bass ports. AS I already had traps on my front wall, it was not an issue for me.

Good point. In a small room rear ported monitors can complicate the ability to acoustically treat a room effectively. Well, at least make it more complicated and expensive.

If you are limited to placement of monitors close to a wall behind, the last thing you need it low end driven into the corners.

Then again, it could be the best thing evah if u do beats. lol

Sorry.

Ah ok, well the room isn't tiny, its about 20' by 20' or so. Just has a lot of furniture in it

So here is my goal, my items, and we shall see how everythign goes

Guitar - Schecter Hellraiser

Monitors - JBL LSR305

Interface - Komp Audio 6

Superior Drummer 2 / With metal foundry

Reaper for my DAW

I will try out all the different plugins for tone, since they allow trials i can truly see what one i want before i buy it. But most likely will get Amplitude and or Bias Desktop, all the nice rack effects from each of these look so enticing, I cannot wait to lay down the tracks, and lyrics i have ready.

For those curious on how i am funding this, due to my current situation, and living arrangements i cannot work. So im saving through a Crowd Source along with a few friends helping me get started. As i cannot work IRL due to disability. So it may take a little time, between now and July, but im not stopping until this is a reality. I miss playing so much and everyone here has been really nice and helpful and i cant thank you all enough.

Back