Need opinions on a massive purchase

Thanks for the help Dave, another reason i chose this unit was i also plan (in the future) buying an amp, most likely rack mount, adding a wireless controller, and buying a cab, and using it for live play, according to line 6, i can use the MK II foot controller, and use this live, just like a full pedal board. as for the latency, ill have to test and see how well it would work. So i will probably buy everything in pieces and test them, or get some feedback from someone that uses it, or has used it.

The Line6 HD is a decent sim unit, but its real function is live playing rather than recording. That seems to be your future use, so go ahead - but you might want to look at the new Firehawk unit instead - offers wirelesspad control (that's the way things are progressing) with the same sounds, and all in a pedal board.

I'd look at a 2-channel audio interface, like already suggested, many possible alternatives, which for $150 or so will give you better mic preamps than that Behr mixer.
The M Audio monitors - no low end to them. Means your guitar will sound weak, and for mixing, you will get an unfair skewed sound perception. Save more money for better monitors.

I didn't realize the firehawk had so much to offer, now after reading a few reviews, i am starting to see a pattern of "this sounds too digital" now i know 10 years ago when i played if you had any digital processing units it was not as good sounding (especially live) as having 5-10 stomboxes. im just afraid of not getting the tone i want, at the same time i know these pieces of hardware are amazing. If anyone here is experienced with these sounds i can tell you the types of music i want to play, it may narrow it down, and might even save me money.

Avenged Sevenfold, As i lay dying, lacuna coil, killswitch engage, five finger death punch

Just anything new age progressive american metal. that is the sound im going for, and obviously to tweak it to my own.

My other plan was to get a set of stomp boxes, but i am trying to not have to go the cab and amp route until (if at all) i start playing live. That adds even more recording needs, and hardware, and even more need for sound treatment.

i am hoping to plan ahead so i can get the most, for my buck. My budget is around 3200$ its also budgeting for a camera, and odds and ends ill need. once again thanks for all the help, and fast responses, its nice to be able to talk to other people that know so much.

A lot of modern metal bands like those you mentioned use a lot of amp-sims live but probably either Axe-Fx II's (which are over 2 grand) or Kempner's or whatever they're called.
I haven't tried the Line6 rack hardware before but it would probably do a modern metal tone rather well. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the best suited for more sublte or "tasteful" tones though.

Personally, I've gotten away with a dual input interface for home recording without a drumset. The most generic and popular tiny interfaces ever is probably the Focusrite 2i2s and 2i4s. Can't go wrong with those.
If you're going to be mixing in that room, I'd almost recommend using headphones. You can blow a lot of money on a treating it and whatnot but a room not built for sound will always be a bit wonky. Going for good mixing headphones like the HD600s or DT 990s (whatever is in your budget) might be a viable alternative. You'll have to learn how to mix on headphones, since there are elements where they are completely different from speakers but that's kind of "down the line" stuff once you've gotten the hang of the basics.

d) Busty managa & hentai babes will not work as bass traps or early reflection point treatment unless you can keep them well fed and very, very still - lots of woww, but what about the flutter?
lol :D

Ok thanks! and i rather use headphones anyways, so that is a win win and saves space. as for interfaces, i can buy one that works well, my budget for everything is 3 grand ish. but i am also getting a new camera for recording vids. But i am still assuming i need a better interface than my current mixer, if so i can get one thats made for vocals, and record guitar through the POD, it would be nice to do it all through the pod, if i can save money i will get an amp and cab as well, and use the pod as my effects and sound. and just get a nice clean sounding amp.

I will just make one quick statement. For the bands you listed as wishing to sound like, you are going to have a hard time getting the guitar sound you want from the POD. You will be able to get similar, but nothing in my experience has come as close as a great tube head, a great guitar, and the player to make it happen. With a mic recording this. This then also involves a well treated room.

AXE FX II is next on my list to have in studio for those that come in with less than adequate gear. I am not even sure that will be the best bet for myself either, but I am also not in the recording game to supply multiple amp setups for people to use. I mainly just try to capture each bands unique sound.

Anyway, drums and guitar tone are going to be the most important things to get right. Everything else falls into place much easier if you have these sounding like you want. That is not always an easy thing...

Now depending on how serious you are with achieving these sounds and how close you wish to get to them, could take your budget way off your projected one.

I don't wish to bring you down in any way, but you may find that your POD will be your weakest link. Just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum man! :)

i know a tube head is just amazing, and if i was ever going to play live, or be ble to not bother others while i play, i would get a microphone setup, and record through a cab. im not looking identical to this sound, jsut a ballpark of more of a play style than identical tone. i know Killswitch engage uses a nice tube amp, and just a single stompbox for their tone. im just looking for a good all around piece of hardware to fill al lot of holes and start me off. if it goes well ill get more stuff, more expensive things. etc. Thanks so much for the help everyone.

I would recommend just a two channel interface then. And then investing in software to use it.

Many use Reaper with awesome results. You can purchase other amp sims like Amplitude or Guitar Rig. Some full version DAW's like Cubase include such sims. Whether or not they are better than the POD would be for you to decide.

I think you are on the right track so far. Get an interface that allows you quality connection for what you are wanting to do. Use the Behri mixer for something other than recording. I use one myself for monitor/headphone control in my drum room. Never for recording.

Once you have a decent input stage into your computer, you can then decide for yourself what it is 'you' want to improve.

I bet acoustic treatment of your room will be something you will want to do sooner than later. And it is cheap by comparison to other fun shiny things with much better results. :)

Oh, and this is my personal preference, but I think SSD4 sounds better than Superior Drummer. Definitely the cymbal samples for sure.

I did look into that, i just love the sound of metal foundry, honestly in the end i will probably have SSD4, and SD, along with amplitude, and guitar rig, i like having options. But i would love a live sound too, just in case i ever get to play live. But i will be getting a nice interface.

I did look into that, i just love the sound of metal foundry, honestly in the end i will probably have SSD4, and SD, along with amplitude, and guitar rig, i like having options. But i would love a live sound too, just in case i ever get to play live. But i will be getting a nice interface.

Nothing like having multiple options man!

Best to you and I personally look forward to hearing your progress.

I deal with my little world here. A really fucking expensive one, but I enjoy it. :)

Once you get your rig going, feel free to send me whatever to compare or send back samples/reamping or whatever... I am always willing to help in any way I can for those that want to explore other options.

O wow thanks for that Jim, i am open to other options for a DAW, as i have never used anything other than Cool Edit Pro and Audacity for a few small one track projects, i like the look of cubase, but it looks intimidating. is it a good platform for the kind of music i want? does it work well on windows and go with SD and SSD4 along with Amplitude and guitar rig, if all those work well together i would have no problem trying it out. Reaper is just very enticing for 60$ its almost a steal.

O wow thanks for that Jim, i am open to other options for a DAW, as i have never used anything other than Cool Edit Pro and Audacity for a few small one track projects, i like the look of cubase, but it looks intimidating. is it a good platform for the kind of music i want? does it work well on windows and go with SD and SSD4 along with Amplitude and guitar rig, if all those work well together i would have no problem trying it out. Reaper is just very enticing for 60$ its almost a steal.

If you go to the Steinberg site you can download a trial of the latest Cubase 8 "lite" (need a dongle for the biggy) Watch out tho! The DAW is huge, over 2G and that's Zipped!

I know nothing about "Metal" other than doing some mods for an amp that went to Rammstein but I was just following a schematic!

I know the little Focusrites are popular but the 2i2 in particular has had its problems and I just don't reckon them great value but then if you want 4 analogue tracks there is very little to touch the KA6 under £250 that has such low latency and steam train stability.

Dave.

Thanks again, the only big question i have is, and i did some research and read manuals, i know i can connect a footboard controller to the POD Pro X, however i like rakcmountable hardware, i know the firehawk or even the Pod HD500x is great, but i want the best of both worlds,

Im just not sure if i can use the floor controller and the rack mount, and set single effects or even chains to each pedal on the board, if that is doable then its almost no contest for me, i get everything i want out of it, rackmount, and foot control, a recording interface, and a plethora of other things.

Thanks again, the only big question i have is, and i did some research and read manuals, i know i can connect a footboard controller to the POD Pro X, however i like rakcmountable hardware, i know the firehawk or even the Pod HD500x is great, but i want the best of both worlds,

Im just not sure if i can use the floor controller and the rack mount, and set single effects or even chains to each pedal on the board, if that is doable then its almost no contest for me, i get everything i want out of it, rackmount, and foot control, a recording interface, and a plethora of other things.

Right. Well it seems to me that you should concentrate your efforts on getting that live sound that you desire and in the most practical and reliable way (THE most awesome sounding and expensive rig ain't worth ***t if it don't work!) .
Once you have your core sound, recording it becomes a bit academic...YES! Ok I know it is not that easy but at least super high quality gear is readily available and super cheap, compared say to a moderately decent 50 watt valve amp.

Dave.

Let me answer your question about using the L6 Shortboard foot controller: if you use this in your live set-up it will be the weakest link. The FBV controllers use a CAT5 cable and connectors. The connectors are flimsy and prone to conductor bending. The cables are cheap lightweight and not very durable and the end connectors are likewise flimsy. yes, you can replace the cable with an aftermarket alternativ, and even rig up a strain relief on the shortboard .... But why bother when there are better alternatives?

I would skip the POD (for now) and go with an interface and Amp sim/modeling software (which is what I do and I record a lot of metal guitar...but as a hobbyist, not professionally), I would check out BIAS Desktop. There is a free trial and it's only $99 to buy. It allows you to customize literally everything down to the tubes and whether the amp has a solid state or tube pre-amp. You can customize the cabinet and the mic placement (which you can also do with Amplitube...which is what I use). I'm considering grabbing BIAS Desktop myself at some point. There's also an iPad version (which is separate from the desktop version) that is very cool for practicing.

BIAS Desktop link

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it's going.

P.S. I forgot to mention that you can download "tones" from Positive Grid's "ToneCloud". There are a lot of metal tones to choose from.

Last edited:
I will be getting some sort of unit, Just to ahve it, and have the flexibility, however i will be getting a large amount of Pc programs, since i cant choose to just one. I will try them all.

Now here is the only debate i need legit advice from

Boss Gt100 Vs The Pod HD 500x

pros and cons if possible!

I am not sure this is clear yet. For recording, it don't really matter what you are using as far as a pedal or effects unit before recording.

Well, you can use them but 'in my experience' the less you use before you record, the better.

Now I understand that you wish to have tone shaping before you hit record, but you will likely find that you will get better results adding them after.

Just sayin man.

Never have I found better results going in with a digital pedal board than recording direct/mic on amp and adding the pedals/effects later.

I am only hoping to give suggestion as to my experience to lead you in the best direction.

I just don't want you to think that any pedal board or amp sim is going to get you what you want. I know, you just want close, but close is such a vague term. The difference between 'suck' and 'awesome' is a big fucking gap when it comes to the heavy guitar tones you want to emulate.

Back