Need to know about mixing down to tape decks

colacentral

Hey; I imagine most people reading this will quickly realise how ignorant of all this malarkey I really am, but you don't learn if you don't ask questions, so, with that said:

I've recently purchased a Tascam cassette four-track, and will be looking to mix down to a tape deck for the purpose of bouncing the tracks. My question is: when searching for tape decks to purchase online, how do I know they'll be compatible and connect to the four-track? Are they any alternatives to tape decks that will accomplish the same goals that I could consider (bearing in mind that I don't have much money to spend)? E.g. are there fairly inexpensive decks that mix down to cd-r and will connect to an old four-track?

I may be completely missing some fundamental point here, so apologies. But I want to make sure I fully understand what I'm buying before I spend anything, without any regrets later.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

You could do this just as well on your computer (assuming your sound card has a "line in" connection). You could use a free audio editor such as Audacity or almost free Reaper to bounce your sub mix then play it back to a track on the Tascam.

If you are not comfortable with this approach, just about any tape deck should work. It will just need to have line in and line out connections.

"Just as well" is an understatement... I'm an analog nut, but 4-track cassette went the way of the dinosaur for a very, very good reason.

Don't get me wrong - It was a great pre-prod tool - But it sounded like crap.

Thanks.

I'm really trying to get started using dials and knobs with something more hands-on, and this is what I can afford for the moment. I really dislike sitting behind a computer and using software for everything; I feel a disconnection there and my mind begins to wander.

However, I've taken on board your point. I plan on upgrading when I can afford it but at the moment I find the four-track more simple, engaging and fun than computer software. I suppose that for most people it's the other way around.

I'd say a lot of people find "hands-on" more satisfying. But a four-track cassette deck will degrade the sound *SOOOOOOOOOOOOO* much that it's normally not a fair trade.

It's not going to be subtle in most cases - It's going to be a very, very obvious step in the wrong (very noisy also) direction.

Massive master is right--the sound is bad to begin with, but after bounce down to another machine? Forget it. Buy a cheap mixer, and start using a computer (the mixer so you can twiddle some knobs). You can fiddle with live sound to further satisfy your need to mix in the real world (it works for me!).

I still use a 4 track but in conjunction with Cakewalk pro Audio.
Bouncing down to & back from a stereo cassette recorder isn't a good idea.
I've mixed down to a stereo cassette without probs but bouncing down & back would involve issues with speed, noise reduction systems & quality. You'd have to precisely match your 4 track's high speed recording, match the NR system etc etc before it'd start to be a useful idea.
I download to cake through an 8 IN soundcard. When I was learning I mixed down to stereo inside the PC & a wave recorder prog. Eventually I mixed into cakewalk & finally upload indiv tracks.
What you suggest is achieveable but even in the heyday of analogue they used matched machines.
See if you can buy a duplicate 4 track, have both serviced and timing adjusted etc. & you can do what you want beautifully.
I have a pair of Yamaha MT100s for those times when I come over total analoguish.

Back