need help to start tracking and mixing

Buzi

Hello everyone.
I am finally at that stage where I have the gear to actually make some music.
Here's what I have :

Yamaha MG 12/4
Rokit5 monitors
Soundcard - haven't got it YET.
PC - P4 1.7 256 RAM, in-box CD burner, with Cubase SX/32, Reason 2.0.
2 Technics 1200's (DJ turntables)
2 Pioneer CDJ 100s (DJ CD players)
1 Numark 3 ch. DJ mixer.
Bass Guitar & Amp.
Electric Guitar.
Acoustic Guitar.
VOCALS (me, my friends)
NO MICS (yet...)

I'm trying to -
Combine the DJ equipment with the guitars and the software.

I would like to record my turntable scratchin' into a track so I can tweak it up on the MG12/4 mixer.
Also - use Reason's synths, drum machine and samplers/ loop players (I'm guessing into Cubase).
Also - record my bass / guitar so that I can mix it all via the mixer and record on the PC. That's the reason I got the MG12/4 in the first place - hands on feeling.
Is it possible to get all of these elements to be recorded and then played back through the mixer so I can mix-down everything ???

I'm not sure how to connect everything, and I'm not sure what kinda soundcard to get. I don't think I'll be recording more than 4 instruments at a time, but do I need more ins/outs on the soundcard for mixing-down more than 4 tracks on the MG12/4 ?? should I get the Delta 1010 so that I can use more tracks on my mixer?
Would I be using Cubase's Sequencer to playback trax into the mixer and then record my mixes back into the recording software ?
and as for VOCALS - what microphone should I get ? SM57?

I'm really clueless and I have alot of good material so I can't wait to get started.
I'm on a tight budget and can't spend more than $1000.

Thanks.

Back