Need Help setting up a Yamaha MG12/4fx using a peavey brain for power amp.

jeff9353

I am new here and don't know very much about setting this Yamaha Mixer (MG12/4fx) up , I really need some help very confusing to me. I have looked at the book but don't understand it.
Ran onto this site while searching internet and looks like a very good place for help.
I have been using an old peavey brain and decided to buy this used MG12/4fx , very good shape.

I wanting to hook up a cd player and tape player and a mic and run everything through my mixer and through the peavey brain and to my speakers.

Didn't know I needed a power amp till I got it. I have added some pics to show you what I have.

From what I understand I have to use a power amp to play everything through my speaker and was wanting to use my peavey as a power app.
Don't know where to plug everything in to use the sliders for volume. to each above.
Can some help me with setting all this up. I know it's a lot to ask, but I really could use it.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20171130_144634.jpg
    20171130_144634.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 89
  • 20171130_144724.jpg
    20171130_144724.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20171130_153603.jpg
    20171130_153603.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 31
Manuals here:
https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80322001.pdf
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/331034/mg20xu_en_om_e0.pdf

Basically, your "player" devices will go into the LINE inputs on the back of the Yamaha, and you can take its L-R stereo outs to the front of the Peavey, using 2 separate channels (B inputs) or try putting them both into one channel, using the A and B inputs, and see how the gain works.

The Yamaha is obviously designed more with the expectation of being plugged into powered speakers, so not sure it's adding anything but complexity to your setup at this point, assuming you don't have powered speakers.

Thank Keith. I let you know how I did, I'll give this a try . probably be a couple day before I get to try it.

CD player, mic, instruments, whatever into the MG mixer. Output from the MG mixer needs to go into the AUX INPUT of the XR500 (which bypasses all the levels and EQ of the XR500 and goes direct to the power amp). All your EQ/FX/Levels will be controlled by the MG. You'll be working in mono, of course, and I don't see the MG124x has a main mono output (other than aux's, sends, groups). You could just assign all active channels to the same GROUP on the MG, and take your output from the GROUP output to the aux input of the Peavey. I strongly advise NOT to run the output of the MG into the instrument/mic channels of the XR400.

Another option is to spend a few bucks on a stereo (2 channel) amplifier. They aren't very expensive in that power range, and are often available used as bands convert to passive digital mixers and powered speakers.

Back