Need help in recording video from CISCO cable box after Charter went fully digital TV

crossd0

In the past, I've recorded for time shifting purposes a lot of baseball and football games using three DVD recorders (cable signal was split to feed each recorder). Now Charter has gone fully digital and they require digital transport adapters to decrypt the Charter digital signal. These boxes output HDMI, component and composite signals. My current recorders do not take inputs for HDMI or component, so I can record only with the composite cables from the DTAs, and the resulting video recordings are not that great. Does anyone know of any recording devices which have HDMI or component input capabilities?

In the past, I've recorded for time shifting purposes a lot of baseball and football games using three DVD recorders (cable signal was split to feed each recorder). Now Charter has gone fully digital and they require digital transport adapters to decrypt the Charter digital signal. These boxes output HDMI, component and composite signals. My current recorders do not take inputs for HDMI or component, so I can record only with the composite cables from the DTAs, and the resulting video recordings are not that great. Does anyone know of any recording devices which have HDMI or component input capabilities?

I have said it here before and every forum I have ever infested. The Country Of Origin should be a mandatory requirement.

Now, WHO TF are 'Charter'? And WHERE TF are you? This matters HUGELY with TV systems.

Here in UK we have Freeview digital broadcasting some of which is in HD. I have two* Freeview hard disc & DVD recorders and if I record standard programmes at the highest quality the pictures are every bit as good as the live broadcast (I cannot record HD, don't think any DOMESTIC kit can?)

I can then edit these programmes and copy them onto DVD with no loss of quality. However, these machines are now getting very hard to find and only one or two, top of range and expensive ones are still available. I would stump the cost but they only have one HDMI output, no RCA, no SCART, no other connectors and I need to feed in CVBS from CCTV.
There is however a kludge to record FROM HDMI. You can buy a cheap box call a 'Portta' which accepts HDMI and outputs video (basic and SVid and I think there is another model that outs composite?) Stereo sound as analogue audio as well.

So the boxes can be used to copy ANYTHING from any HDMI port be it on a tuner box or a laptop.

*One of my machines, a Toshiba will no longer accept any DVD. The other, a Panasonic will now only record (most but not all!) DVD -R.
Car has just stuffed me for £700 and MOT next month. IF I can get some dosh saved I need another deck!

Dave.

Charter is a US company. No one uses stand-alone recorders any more except those of us still using old machines. Pay the extra $9.95/month for their 'TIVO' (record/play on demand) service.

Charter is a US company. No one uses stand-alone recorders any more except those of us still using old machines. Pay the extra $9.95/month for their 'TIVO' (record/play on demand) service.

I would do that here Mike but then everything 'comes around' eventually! I still need a recorder/editor for my garden wildlife stuff.

Dave.

I would do that here Mike but then everything 'comes around' eventually! I still need a recorder/editor for my garden wildlife stuff.

Dave.

Not you, Dave, the OP! Recent;y, I've looked at options to get out fo the digital converter rental I have now with my cable (Comcast). I pay about $20 a month for a big full-capability box (no TIVO, just On Demand), and 2 little 'few channel' boxes for the upstairs tvs. The options are 1) antenna to pick up free HD broadcasts (not what I'm looking for) or buy refurbished big boxes from some place (for around $300) that still won't work until I get Comcast to 'authorize them' = and then still have to pay a monthly fee for that! And from what I understand, COmcast is very reluctant to set up you up the right way, and if they ever decide to change the digital system, you're stuck with boxes that don't work.
There was supposed to be a law happening last year that would allow anyone to sell the boxes or even to do away wiht them, but the cable companies lobbyed those a*holes in Washington to shelve it.

Back