Need help with my setup / Interface?

Yes ok I admit a bit OT but it is my firm conviction that we lose DIN at our peril. That wireless device I mentioned uses them and a several mixers and gear you would not expect.
Yes, you CAN buy a USB to DIN host but at $100 a pop!

Dave.

The whole thing is a money pit. ;)

That is exactly was I was looking for, and ~80€ is not that much. I found the 2496 Card here for abt. 100€, which is not that cheap.

If I buy the KA6 Interface, is a adapter for XLR/6.3mm enough or do I need anything else to connect my guitar?

I am very, very sorry Narmo I have confused you. Let me be as plain as I can...

1) You do need IMHO, a newer, better USB interface and the KA6 is one of the best for the money.

3) You do NOT need a USB/midi HOST! That was me going off on one and something I should have and intend to devote to another thread. (if you understand and can afford the host, I am sure it would come in handy!)

4) If you ARE getting/building a desktop PC then a PCI or PCIe soundcard is a worthwhile addition IMHO as they can do things that external AIs cannot, or at least not easily if at all.

As DM60 says, it is more than likely that you can sort all the MIDI routing in software.

My apologies once again. Re-cap. Just get a KA6 and have a dabble with Cubase!

Dave.

3) You do NOT need a USB/midi HOST! That was me going off on one and something I should have and intend to devote to another thread. (if you understand and can afford the host, I am sure it would come in handy!)

I think I understand what you said, I just meant that I will get a USB/MIDI host just for the e-drums, as it only has USB out, not the DIN one. In this case I can "make" it a DIN, connect it to the KA6 (as well as my guitar and so on) and plug it via USB to my computer. Is that correct?

Daniel

I think I understand what you said, I just meant that I will get a USB/MIDI host just for the e-drums, as it only has USB out, not the DIN one. In this case I can "make" it a DIN, connect it to the KA6 (as well as my guitar and so on) and plug it via USB to my computer. Is that correct?

Daniel

Let's see if we can clear this up. If your e-drums are just pads to record hits, then just plug the USB to the computer and work with MIDI in from your computer (USB does In/Out with one cable). No DIN is required.

Are you going to use a drum sound module? If you are, then it is a different situation and needs to be explained separately as not to confuse.

The drums include a drum module (Amazon.com: Alesis DM6 USB Kit Five-Piece Electronic Drum Set: Musical Instruments). So I would use the USB/MIDI host to connect with the KA6, which I would then connect to my computer.

There I would get the MIDI input and could use Reaper to get the "real" sound. Did I get this right? ;)

Ah, now I have a better understanding and the most common problem with people new to MIDI. MIDI will only pass MIDI data and the DM6 support that. States it in the specs. For the drum sounds from the module, will need to have the analog sound out from the e-drums, to analog in to the interface, no DIN, no MIDI, you are recording sound. Just like any other Analog equipment.

The MIDI data is to use your drum hits for use of VSTi (EZ drummer, slate, what ever drum software you use). The USB will NOT transfer sound, neither would the DIN.

Are you set?

Okay, so that in order to record via VSTi I would have to plug it as USB or DIN (USB to my computer, DIN to the interface and then to the computer)?

And analog is to records the sounds coming from the drum module, without any VSTi?

If I got it right then it should work if I have a plug USB to DIN and connect it with the interface and then with the computer? Or am I wrong?

Okay, that sounds clear to me ;)

But just out of interest: If I connect the DM6 to the interface and then to the computer, would it be possible to record via VSTi and also the sounds coming from the drums?

Okay, that sounds clear to me ;)

But just out of interest: If I connect the DM6 to the interface and then to the computer, would it be possible to record via VSTi and also the sounds coming from the drums?

Yes, ( ot be more clear, to the interface and computer to record both MIDI and analog as the same time) this is the main reason to do both, capture the analog and the MIDI for further processing (VSTi). Use a click when you do this as there will be some latency issues you will have to correct between analog and MIDI.

Alesis DM6 via its control module >>> USB Port 1

Audio Interface >>> USB Port 2

- Each device is connected separately to two different USB ports.
- The MIDI DIN on the audio interface is not needed for the USB/MIDI of the drum kit.
- The software in the DAW/VST will manage each device.
- The audio interface can allow you to get the VST drum audio out to monitors or headphones.
- Edit... "DM6 module contains 108 top-notch drum, cymbal, and percussion sounds" - The module contains its own sounds that could be recorded through the audio interface or played through an amp independently of using a computer.

Overview of the module operation >>>> http://www.ionaudio.com/downloads/dm6_module_reference_manual_evb.pdf
"The DM6 module has its own internal sounds, but you can also use it as a trigger-to-MIDI interface with drum
module software by connecting its USB port to that of a computer. In this case, triggering the pads and
pedals of the kit will send MIDI messages to your computer, so you can trigger drum sounds from your
software's sound library. You will need to select the proper MIDI output format to use the DM6 module this
way (see below)."

(David, if this is off base please don't hesitate to throw a stone or two at me :) )

This looks correct to me.

I had looked up the manual for the DM6 so I was always under the impression that it would be used as a sound module (hence the triggering from the keyboard diversion!) . The use of a VSTi as well I confess had not occurred to me! But yes, you will want to record the MIDI data. The 2 line inputs, 3/4 on the KA6 will be handy for the drums!

I shall now slink back to my bean cans and string.

Dave.

I just bought the DM6, I will tell if something is not working as we just discussed ;) Should be possible within the next 2 weeks.

Thank you all for your help!

Back