Need help hearing playback in cubase.

axis_d

Hi everyone, I hope someone here can help. I have a total newbie question. I'm trying to do a test recording in cubase for the first time, and I see an input, but I hear nothing when It try playing it back.

I have an RME babyface interface, and I have just one mic plugged into an input, and two monitors connected to the outputs.

So I first set up my interface under "Device Setup". I then went to "VST connections" to set up my busses. I clicked on "add bus" and I set it up as mono, with the device port being Mic/Line 1. I tested it out and cubase is getting the signal, because the levels in the mixer go up and down when I talk into the mic.

I set up the output bus, as Stereo Out, with the device ports being Analog 1 and 2. I then armed the track, pressing the red record button, clicked the speaker icon next to it, and hit "record" on the transport window. I can see the levels on the track, but when I return the scroll bar to the beginning and try playing back, I hear nothing. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Try leaving Record off and see if you are getting an output.

Also, try a set of headphones.

Also, is there a Blend or Mix control on the interface? adjust that to see if you get anything.

Ahh, simple sollution, I guess I had to turn the "monitor" icon off. I didn't realize that I needed to do that. But now that I can hear playback I have a new question, hopefully I can just piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one..

any advice on how high the gain on my mic should be? I know that if it goes into the red, that's bad. But how far below should I have it? and Should I keep the fader at 0, and just adjust the gain on my interface? Or should I adjust the fader?

Not familiar with your interface, but yes, keep it out of the red. In Cubase you'll see an input meter in the Transport Bar, keep that out of the red also. You can keep your fader at 0 and adjust the gain. That should probably work well. You don't have to be anywhere near clipping in a digital system. Keeping it around mid-scale works good. You'll make up the volume later on down the road.

Back