My small (future) recording studio

Bends

Hello there! I am here to ask you guys a couple of questions, pretty straightforward. I sing and play guitar and need gear to record these things for me. I have looked at a lot of gear, and I will tell you what I have narrowed it down to. Keep in mind that I live in South America so, prices here are double what you get in the U.S (sometimes triple!) and the selection is more limited. So, keeping in mind that I only want to record my voice and guitar (for the time being) and also being on a tight budget, I am planning to buy:

-ALESIS Io2 Express USS - 175

-Sennheiser HD 202-II - USS - 59

-Microphone: Here's where it gets tough. I initially wanted to buy a Sennheiser E835 because I heard great things about it. It's 180 bucks here, aproximately. Now, yesterday I was over at a friends house and tried a Shure SM58 and a Behringer B2 pro. I didn't like the B2 Pro very much, although from what I hear, it's the best of the Behringer B-line, maybe the best of their accessible condenser mics. I didn't like the way my voice sounded, but the sound was clear enough and it was probably the song I sang, it didn't fit my voice. The Shure, however, I really liked. But, and here's where it gets a bit more complicated, my friend said that I should get a condenser mic for my purposes. Now, I am just looking to get nice sounding recordings, I am not a pro trying to sound like a studio. But he said that I would need a condenser because my guitar (acoustic) will sound like it lacks something if I recorded with the E835, or even the Shure (but to get a Shure I have to drive for four hours straight--kind of a bummer). From the condensers I can get, most are Behringer (I know what most people think about this brand): The C1, the B1, the C3, and just maybe I can get my hands on the B2 Pro. There was also a condenser from Samson that was 180 bucks here, I estimate around 100 to 80 bucks in your area, depending on where you live. I cannot remember the model, unfortunately.

Please, could you advise me as to what to do? I really want to get my small recording place going, so please, don't hesitate to answer as soon as you can! I argue that some of the best recordings I've heard are from dynamic cardioid mics (live of course), but I could be wrong. Thank you very much for reading, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Matt.

Last edited:
I like the sound of the Shure mic on my acoustic guitar (you can hear examples on my myspace), but a condensor gives a better sound on my vocals (your mileage may vary). Of course there are many variables - how your room is treated, what your guitar sounds like ....

Welcome to the forum!

I like the sound of the Shure mic on my acoustic guitar (you can hear examples on my myspace), but a condensor gives a better sound on my vocals (your mileage may vary). Of course there are many variables - how your room is treated, what your guitar sounds like ....

Welcome to the forum!

I also tend to use condensors on my vocals. But have used dynamics, ribbons, condensors (almost the full spectrum of mics) on guitar. Personally, if you are going to be getting just a single mic, I would maybe look at an SM57 over a 58. I find them to be a little more versitile and fall in the same price range of about $100 US. I have used 57's on everything from acoustics, to cabinets, to snares and percusion. Also, you can use it on vocals as well.

As mjbphotos said, the whole condensor/dynamics debacle is also based on many variables. Initially, I am assuming you will be recording in something like your bedroom with just the one mic and no real sound treatment. So either or should work for you.

Good Luck and Welcome!

best buy is selling both the 57 and 58 for like $75 you could get both for that price. Both of those mics you will have and use forever

Back