My Mic has background noise. Is this normal? I attached two recordings.

cdeveringham

I just purchased a MXL 770 running into a InnoGear 1- Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply, that then feeds into my on board sound card via 3pin XLR Female to 1/4" 6.35mm Mono Male Adapter into a 1/8 inch Male to 1/4 inch Female Audio Jack Adapter.

It wasn't working at all on one of my computers so I tried on another with better success but I'm getting a lot of background noise, is this normal?

You can find a couple of my recordings here, I titled them at the DB levels I recorded at. View attachment 0Db-recording.mp3View attachment 30Db-recording.mp3

The noise is probably normal for using the adapters you are using as it likely may not properly change the 'balanced' XLR connection to an 'unbalanced' connection of the computers soundcard. Ditch the Innogear phantom PS and get a USB interface which will provide 48vdc phantom and get the audio into the computer cleanly.

Arcaxis, oh I understand. Thank you for the help, Would you be able to recommend a USB interface? Its a 120$ mic, so I'm not looking for anything over the top, but I also don't want it to be the bottle neck. I would appreciate it :)

Actually do you think the BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UM2 would be a good fit. It looks like it takes USB, and I I've never seen that input before but it looks like it accepts XLR? It has a 48V switch too, but it worries me as I dont see a power cord, are these typically powered by USB?

The UM2 may be OK for what you are doing, but a bit of a step up would be the UMC22 which has 1/4" output jacks for monitors(speakers), where the UM2 has RCA jacks. Better monitors will tend to have 1/4" connections.
Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 | Sweetwater
Both are powered from the USB port on the computer.
What is it you are recording? Singing, voiceover/narration, podcasting, etc? Will one mic input be sufficient? Always think a bit ahead to what you think you may need for the future.

Thanks I will take your advice about the UMC22, I wouldn't have caught that, thanks! And I intend to use it for podcasting.

Back