Is this my best solution ?

Firefab

Hey, I have a pretty decent computer(2-3 yeras old).

Processor: Intel i7-3770 3.40GHz
RAM: 16 GB (...completly useless for my Pro tools 10 :facepalm: )
Graphic: AMD Radeon HD 6670 4GB

Everything getting slower with time, so I wanted to format my HD and re-install windows. But I'm trying to find an alternative. I heard that I can install my windows on a SSD Hard Drive with pro tools in it. So It will accelerate everything and I don't have to erase everything that I have on my main HD.

Is this a good solution ? Is my computer will accept SSD hard drive ?

Thanks !

There are a lot of options here Firefab. A "non-destructive" speed up can be done but you need to take some time and be very systematic.

First job is to make an image/backup of what you have! Best put on another hard drive, does the PC have USB 3.0 ports? If so get a USB 3.0 caddy and a hard drive for backup, it will always be handy! If you don't already have them make system repair discs and (if it will let you) Recovery discs.

Next use Revo Uninstaller to check what programs you have installed and get rid of anything you don't need using the most aggressive setting. Run Ccleaner Registry cleaner a few times until no errors show up. Delete temporary files.

Set the C drive in "Computer" >"Tools" to scan and fix at next boot up. Re boot then make tea, coffee, 3 course dinner! This can take some time! Download and run the free Malwarebytes.

Do you have a copy of Windows (7?). If not Microsoft MIGHT let you download it on the strength of your present license key and if you don't have that! Download Belarc Advisor, it will tell thee!

Re SSDs? Peeps say all sorts of things. Yes, they boot up very quickly and load stuff like s off a shovel it seems. They do not actually speed up "processes" since everything really runs from ram AFAIK.

There is no doubt that a formatted and freshly OS'ed PC is a treat to use, SSD or nay!

Should have said, you CAN use a USB 2.0 port if it is all you have but 'twill be slooooow! Better to just fit another HDD inside the PC.

Dave...Did I mention "backup first"? DO THAT.

Hey, I have a pretty decent computer(2-3 yeras old).

Processor: Intel i7-3770 3.40GHz
RAM: 16 GB (...completly useless for my Pro tools 10 :facepalm: )
Graphic: AMD Radeon HD 6670 4GB

Everything getting slower with time, so I wanted to format my HD and re-install windows. But I'm trying to find an alternative. I heard that I can install my windows on a SSD Hard Drive with pro tools in it. So It will accelerate everything and I don't have to erase everything that I have on my main HD.

Is this a good solution ? Is my computer will accept SSD hard drive ?

Thanks !

Systems always get slower over time. But only if you are not keeping it organized.

You can clone your drive to an SSD but you will still have the same crap you have in your drive, it will just load the crap a lot quicker.

I am curious what drives you have in your PC. If Seagate, then drive clone to SSD is free and simple. Otherwise it can take a few more steps.

Still, I would first figure out why your system is slower now. MyDefrag/CCleaner, then Latencymon and DPC Latency check to find out why you are not running so well.

Back