mxl 990 + alesis multimix + roland multitracker = NOISE!!!

lurgan liar

Jimmy Page XXVIII
can someone help me ...i am trying to record an acoustic guitar with a mxl 990 using an alesis mixer (as its the only thing i have with phantom power)and my roland multitracker...

i need some advce on mic placement as i've been told numerous different ways of doing it? ....how high i should be setting the gain on the mixer? - the mix volume on the mixer? ...and the gain settings on my multitracker? ....

i've been picking up way too much noise .....and need some help :)

thanks

Not sure if this is right or not...

I have a Takamini and when I record - I will usually place the mic just forward of my hand pointing toward the 'hole' in the guitar at like a 45 degree angle...

The mic is usually about 3 inches away from the knuckle of my hand...
Set your channel to 'unity' gain - And adjust the trim till the meter reads '0' db... Setup your Roland to record and adjust it so you get a good signal going into record and try it that way...

Hopefully it'll work...

The sound I get is usually reasonably sharp but has a reasonable amount of bass in it as well - it also picks up the string noise - which I like sometimes when I'm doing a slower song...

Hope this helps...

i've gotta crank the 990 up pretty loud before i start hearing noise.. and thats through a cheap little presonus tubepre

cheers guys.....i think i am setting the gain way too high on the mixer ...i'll just keep experimenting ... i am sure there must be a simple explanation

Back