Music recorded through headset

whisperingnecro

Hello everyone, I am hoping this is an easy fix. I'm having trouble with recording vocals. I am playing music into my headset and singing along with the music. However, when I listen to the recorded vocals, I hear the music that was being played. I am using a Berhinger Xenyx 302USB mixer, a MXL 770 microphone with a shock mount and pop filter. Is this a setting on my mixer or something else that can help me reduce the music. It is like the microphone is picking it up from the headphones even when the music is turned down really low.

You have missed THE most important piece of information, the make and model of the headphones!

You must have closed back* types to use when tracking with a live mic. Then, the usual caveat about sensitive capacitor mics applies. That MXL has a 10dB pad switch, engage that and get closer. Pop shield!

Such close working will boost the bass frequencies (K.A 'Proximity Effect) but you can either roll off the LF on the Behringer or cut it in software (which is???!) .

This all assume you have not somehow got the backing signal mixed in with vocals in the mixer. The monitoring switches should sort that out.

Has to be said! USB mixers, especially the 1st gen' 16 bit jobs, are not THE best thing for recording but with care and attention good results are possible.

*These can be very cheap, $20 US, since you can use your better (?) cans for post tracking work.

Dave.

Thank you Dave! As you pointed out I forgot the make and model of the headphones. They are Quiet Comfort Noise Canceling Bose headphones. I will try the switch on the microphone and the settings on the mixer which I plan to upgrade soon.

Thank you,

Tyler

You need to select the 'USB PLAY' (red button) and the 'TO PHONES (black button next to it), otherwise the signal coming form the computer is getting back into the main mix and out via USB to the track you are recording.

Bose noise cancelling headphones are pretty comfy to wear, and the noise cancellation works rather well - pilots love them - BUT - the noise cancellation produces less noise at the eardrums, as in inside the headphones. If you put them on somebody else and turn the level up and listen - you'll discover they make more noise than many conventional headphones listened from outside! They also don't clamp your head, vice like - so sound escapes from them through the soft ear pads that don't always seat accurately on your head. Inside - background room sound is cancelled fine. Just the wrong type of headphones really. Not as bad as open back designs, but quite loud beasts!

That all said - many singers have to half-wear the headphones to pitch properly, so spill from them is always an issue - in most cases though, it's low enough to not be a major problem in a mix.

Just another thought along with the other advice....try turning the volume down on the headphones. Obviously the music is being picked up by the the mic, lowering the volume of the headphones as much as you can and then lowering the pick up volume of the mic a tad will certainly reduce this problem...maybe eliminate it. At least for the short term. You might do some research on quality over the ear headphones specifically designed for recording. The Bose are fine sounding headphones but they are not something I have ever noticed being used in a studio. I've picked up some inexpensive KOSS cans that do a damn fine job and what I like about Koss is they all carry a lifetime warranty...that's cool. I picked up some goofy Dodger branded ones made by Koss for @ $15 a piece they do me fine THESE ones are on sale for @$13 at Amazon. It's my assumption that passive noise cancellation cans (like the aforementioned Koss cans) are gooing to keep sound from going out better than your consumer active noise cancellation Bose cans. The passive depend solely on that foam ring around your ear to block out sound whereas the active digital noise cancelling use electronic voodoo to cancel out external sounds so they most likely don't put as much emphasis or money into blocking the exterior sounds with the foam ring choosing comfort over function...

I'm sure like most of us going out and buying some $1000 cans is probably not viable...Cans that will serve your purpose can be had from the $20 to $150 range...Seems I've see n a lot of Sony cans in studios over the years but I am sure there are 100's that will work for you....

Below is a video explaining Koss's new "studio headphones" that retail for @ $150 pretty cool information on the thought process of a studio headphone set.... I aint paying $150 I'm good with my $15 ones with the lifetime warranty ;)

[video]https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/pro4s[/video]

Well I put my money where my mouth is and ordered a set...

They are identical to the Dodger versions I have other than color.....Build is surprisingly nice for $13 and man they keep the sound out and in....pretty comfortable..I have two pairs of the Dodger ones ...one still in the sealed package..the other I've been using for about two years and still working bitchin albeit a little worn on the pads...

Bad news is though they are identical to the Dodger versions they don't sound quite as sharp...I did several side by side comps and for sure they are not as clear...a little muddy...going to cal Koss on Monday and see what up wid dat...BTW Identical specs on both too....

....618uMQ6Ul-L._SL1500_.jpg

Back