Music hosting??

If you have a good connection, Westerndigital has a Mycloud service you can host yourself. 3TB for around $161. Goes down from there, easy setup and works well. The HD runs a light Linux version on it that is administered through a browser. As dependable as your IP. Mycloud article on PC magazine.

Not sure what all the posts in the middle wrre about ...

For file sharing, Dropbox is easy, plenty of free space.

For live streaming or fan/customer downloading, bandcamp is the place - they offer WAV downloading.

Soundcloud lets you upload in any format. Downloads are in the format that the file was uploaded. If you upload as Wav someone else can download a Wav. I believe the convert to mp3 for streaming on the site.

I've used Soundcloud to successfully transfer uncompressed files.

If you have a good connection, Westerndigital has a Mycloud service you can host yourself. 3TB for around $161. Goes down from there, easy setup and works well. The HD runs a light Linux version on it that is administered through a browser. As dependable as your IP. Mycloud article on PC magazine.

I've got a MyCloud. I love it for backup and to share downloads with friends, but how are you using it for streaming? Are your friends using the desktop app or the mobile apps? Those have been clumsy at best for me thus far.

I've got a MyCloud. I love it for backup and to share downloads with friends, but how are you using it for streaming? Are your friends using the desktop app or the mobile apps? Those have been clumsy at best for me thus far.

I know you can stream off of it by turning it into a media server, but I would use Soundcloud, revrb, etc. much easier. But for large file transfers (stems), the WD Mycloud seems like a better way to go.

And as mentioned, SC will download in the format you uploaded, but MP3 is just a better way to stream.

Soundcloud lets you upload in any format. Downloads are in the format that the file was uploaded. If you upload as Wav someone else can download a Wav. I believe the convert to mp3 for streaming on the site.

I've used Soundcloud to successfully transfer uncompressed files.

But isn't the download option only if you have a paid SC account?

For file sharing, Dropbox is easy, plenty of free space.

For live streaming or fan/customer downloading, bandcamp is the place - they offer WAV downloading.

Ditto. Dropbox for sharing files with collaborators, and bandcamp for sharing with the world.

Back