MultiTrack Or Computer Interface

RufusTheDufus

Help!

The more I research the more I confuse the shit out of myself. I need to create some decent quality demos at home...don't have to sound radio ready...just so I can send them out and have people get a decent idea what the song should sound like.

I've been looking at the Boss BR1600, but have recently considered a computer interface, possibly a mixer/controller and software?

Whaddaya suggest? I'm at about $1500 as it is with the BR1600. Am I better served to get an interface, software and a cheap pc to run it all?

Thanks,

you can go either way.
my own personal bias is using a computer due to flexibility.
but if your not willing to learn how to configure and run a pc as a multitrack
studio and learn windows operations it might frustrate you.
if you decide to go pc - and want specific recommendations
just ask. as the answer is quite long.
or just go back over my posts for the past year and search under my name plus add amd which are the pc's i prefer as a computer engineer.
ive also been tesing out a lot of laptops and like amd laptops as well as intel centrino laptops. i like the portability idea. but one has to be carefull of the chosen sound solution ie...usb or firewire.
hope this helps.

RufusTheDufus said:
Help!

The more I research the more I confuse the shit out of myself. I need to create some decent quality demos at home...don't have to sound radio ready...just so I can send them out and have people get a decent idea what the song should sound like.

I've been looking at the Boss BR1600, but have recently considered a computer interface, possibly a mixer/controller and software?

Whaddaya suggest? I'm at about $1500 as it is with the BR1600. Am I better served to get an interface, software and a cheap pc to run it all?

Thanks,

This depends on what you want and where you want to go with your recordings. The advantage of a PC based system are 1/ The editing facilities are easier to use. 2/ There are a host of plugins you can use and get to grips with to aid the sounds you choose for your songwriting.
There are draw backs, system noise, You are going to have to get a quiet system or do the actual playing of live miced up instruments away from the pc, this is something you will not get with a portable hard disc digital recorder, How ever, the capabilities for editing are a little harder and you won't get VST support.

Thanks to both of you for the insight. I could probably get by with a standalone multitrack. But I think I just need to bite the bullet and go with a computer interface and a computer solely dedicated to recording.

With that in mind, what kind of interface do you use and what software do you prefer?

I've checked out the M-Box as well as the Tascam with the controller.

I'm even considering getting a Mac instead of a PC...and desktop instead of laptop.

Basically, I'm looking for what you think is the best system, if I'm going to spend up to $2500. It doesn't have to be that much...but the ideal setup I could get, interface, software, plug-ins and computer.

I'm a guitarist and am recording songs, with my own vocals as scratch tracks. I just want to do something semi-professionally so when I play it for people they'll hear the song (of course it won't be perfect) so they'll see the potential with a real singer and production value.

...So I can program the drums, mix everything and create a finished product with relative ease.

I've spent a lot of time working in Photoshop and Quark etc...I've got some decent proficiency when it comes to learning computer stuff...but the easier it is, the better...as long as I'm still getting the sound quality.

I'm rambling.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Thanks

I used to have a Boss BR8, and I now record to ADAT and then bounce to computer. Computers are certainly cool, but you have to keep in mind that they are not made exclusively for audio. To do what you have mentioned above, you'll need: a mic, a pre-amp, some sort of analog to digital convertor, a good sound card, software, and, of course, a computer. If the Boss burns CD's (I don't know the model that you listed), then it takes care of all this stuff except the mic (and it probably has pre-amps, but not so hot ones).

And to program drums, you'll need more software like Acid. For $1500, you still may come out better with the computer, but make sure to price out all of the above so that you know what you're getting yourself into. The main advantage of the computer set up is that you can replace these things above one by one with better stuff and get a better sound. The Boss is an all-in-one box, so you can't improve any one part of it, that's what you get.

Good luck!

I'm running a refurb Dell P4 3.4gHz w/ 1g RAM and a pair of 250g SATA drives configed as c:/ and d:/ drives. I've got 2 more SATA ports for a RAID1. :D

Anyway, I just stepped up to a Lynx2A and it is really performing well. Tracking with Sonar4PE and XP Pro OS I'm getting latency of about 5ms with ASIO drivers. Great sound, so far so good as far as stability.

Right at $2500.

I'd Go PC, you'll still want to do some type of editing. Whether it be pitch, slide or any thought you think up, you can do with much of the software out there.

I started out with Cakewalk, and used it for awhile. But I'd want to dedicate a computer for a DAW. If you have that kind of budget....I'd pc it. I'm going to dive into the Linux pool....Make sure you get a Full duplex sound card. Best of Luck!!

Back