Multiple USB Microphones recording on separate tracks in Reaper

Are you looking for a mixer for live work? are you looking to record a band's live shows? That's what USB mixers are really designed for.

For recording, get an audio interface.

Earlier on he mentions this is for a podcast rather than live music.

Anyhow, as described before, you're best off using the XLR outputs rather than USB.

Mackie mixers have a reasonable reputation though I haven't used any of their newer ones. The thing is, if your needs will only ever be two tracks, you might be better off with a simple audio interface rather than a mixer. Even if the mixer has multiple channels locally, the vast majority only let you feed two channels into a computer--you pan your mics hard left and hard right to do this. Besides Mackie, I'd look at Allen and Heath and Soundcraft (or, at the economy end of the market, Behringer).

What the mixer would be good for is, well, mixing your podcast live. You could have a couple of mics and maybe some kind of playback device for music and effects--but you be mixing them live BEFORE the computer.

The other thing to think about is whether you're sure you'll only ever need two mics. In my experience, no matter how many channels you cater for, what you need is always that number plus one!

I will be using it for podcasts, as well as mixing music in my home studio.
Even my podcasts will sometimes require more than 2 microphones / audio sources.

Earlier on he mentions this is for a podcast rather than live music.
Yes I will be using it for podcasts, and sometimes the podcast will require more than 2 microphones.

Anyhow, as described before, you're best off using the XLR outputs rather than USB.
so, maybe purchase an XLR to USB converter cable?

Mackie mixers have a reasonable reputation though I haven't used any of their newer ones. The thing is, if your needs will only ever be two tracks, you might be better off with a simple audio interface rather than a mixer. Even if the mixer has multiple channels locally, the vast majority only let you feed two channels into a computer--you pan your mics hard left and hard right to do this. Besides Mackie, I'd look at Allen and Heath and Soundcraft (or, at the economy end of the market, Behringer).

What the mixer would be good for is, well, mixing your podcast live. You could have a couple of mics and maybe some kind of playback device for music and effects--but you be mixing them live BEFORE the computer.

The other thing to think about is whether you're sure you'll only ever need two mics. In my experience, no matter how many channels you cater for, what you need is always that number plus one!

I am looking into audio interfaces as suggested, but if I decide to go with a mixer, would it be best to go with a USB Mixer, or an analog mixer? Both I can adapt to run into the computer.

As others have stated you can pan the mics hard left or right with a mixers stereo recording, but if for example one person speaking is talking too loud or soft it may be more difficult to adjust the levels of that half of a stereo track to match up to the other. Some DAW's may be able to do this easier that others by being able to split a stereo track.

Interfaces are available with more than two XLR inputs (more $$$) so multiple mics could be used and your mixing of the tracks would be in the DAW.

If you do go with a mixer, go with a USB mixer unless you plan on also getting a USB interface to send an analog mixer into. USB is the preferred way to get audio into a computer and not the computers soundcard.

I will be using it for podcasts, as well as mixing music in my home studio.
Even my podcasts will sometimes require more than 2 microphones / audio sources.

In that case have a really good think about the mixer you get and also check out interfaces with more than 2 mic inputs. Unfortunately there a few "middle ground" AIs, they tend to jump from 2 mics ins to 8! A long time workhorse has been the Tascam US 1800.

You could go for "my" mixer, the Allen and Heath ZED10 USB. 4 mic ins plus 2 more stereo line ins plus other inputs. Bit big but better quality than most. The USB is just a stereo pair and 16 bit but really very good. On board FX and generally a very versatile beast.

Dave.

In that case have a really good think about the mixer you get and also check out interfaces with more than 2 mic inputs. Unfortunately there a few "middle ground" AIs, they tend to jump from 2 mics ins to 8! A long time workhorse has been the Tascam US 1800.

Dave.
While Behringer gear is generally not regarded too well, I wish more user reviews would popup on their interfaces. This one gets fairly decent reviews....

Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD - USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI UMC404HD B&H (even has 5 pin MIDI DIN jacks!!!)

I do like my US1800 aside from the low output on the headphones which necessitated an extra headphone amp.

as well as mixing music in my home studio.

The vast majority of people who mix music in their studios do it inside the computer. Mixers are best left for live mixing. Now, I use a mixer in the studio but I record whole bands at once and need to do multiple live headphone mixes so it makes sense, but even that can be done using an advanced interface without a separate mixer. Even if you need a small mixer for podcasts it isn't likely to be ideal for music production.

Thank all of you for the suggestions.
I am checking into all suggestions, and hopefully one of them will be what I am looking for.

I am looking into audio interfaces as suggested, but if I decide to go with a mixer, would it be best to go with a USB Mixer, or an analog mixer? Both I can adapt to run into the computer.

The sort of device regularly called a "USB Mixer" doesn't mix USB streams. In reality it's an ordinary analogue mixer that also contains an Analogue to Digital converter so it can output it's signal directly into a computer. FYI, to avoid confusion, there are also some "digital mixers" you may find referred to--but even these take analogue signals and convert them to digital on the input for processing.

On you question, if you can live (even in the future) with two channels of recording only, then a basic mixer with USB output or a two channel USB audio interface could either do the job for you. The interface would likely be the easier to use option if you're just starting out.

However if, in the future, you think you might want more discrete channels, you could maybe look at the new Soundcraft Signature series. Two of those allow you to export each channel separately via the USB output.

Thank you.
So basically I need at the least a USB audio mixer such as the Behringer Q502 mixer, correct?

Nope. The mixer takes analog mics and mixes them and sends the signal to the PC via USB port. Do you already have two USB mics? If not, I'd move in another direction.

Ok I am a little confused. I thought there was no way to record on separate channels with 2 USB microphones.
I have 2 USB Microphones, but I was under the understanding this wasn't possible.

Ok I am a little confused. I thought there was no way to record on separate channels with 2 USB microphones.
I have 2 USB Microphones, but I was under the understanding this wasn't possible.
How much effort do you want to put into it? :D

Not easily with a Windows computer and one of the big reasons USB mics are not recommended here.
Give this a look and maybe it's something to try... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTCNlaV56I
From Audacity's site.... FAQ:Recording - How To's - Audacity Manual

I 'think' Mac computers can use two USB mic with something called an 'aggregate' device setup (I don't have a Mac, so only going on what I've picked up here and there)

How much effort do you want to put into it? :D

Not easily with a Windows computer and one of the big reasons USB mics are not recommended here.
Give this a look and maybe it's something to try... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTCNlaV56I
From Audacity's site.... FAQ:Recording - How To's - Audacity Manual

I 'think' Mac computers can use two USB mic with something called an 'aggregate' device setup (I don't have a Mac, so only going on what I've picked up here and there)

Thank you. I am familiar with VAC, but was trying to stay away from it.
I will settle for a nice mixer which is either USB or that I can connect via RCA to 3.5mm to my microphone jack on the computer, and do the pan left and pan right to get 2 tracks. lol
At least until I am rich enough to afford a nice mixer with a firewire connection.

Thank you. I am familiar with VAC, but was trying to stay away from it.
I will settle for a nice mixer which is either USB or that I can connect via RCA to 3.5mm to my microphone jack on the computer, and do the pan left and pan right to get 2 tracks. lol
At least until I am rich enough to afford a nice mixer with a firewire connection.
You can pan one mic left and one mic right and each will have the sound come out of the respective right/left speaker or set of headphones. Without some dickering around with the recorded file, it is 'one' stereo track, not two separate tracks as was explained previously. However, read through this How do I split a stereo track for individual L-R processing and then re-mix? - Cockos Confederated Forums and give it a try in Reaper, see how well it works and if it something you want to do with everything you record. Might be other ways to do, but I had found this quick.
Still think you'd be better off with a decent USB interface if you want to maintain separate tracks for each mic. Add a cheap mixer later if you think you really need one.

You can pan one mic left and one mic right and each will have the sound come out of the respective right/left speaker or set of headphones. Without some dickering around with the recorded file, it is 'one' stereo track, not two separate tracks as was explained previously. However, read through this How do I split a stereo track for individual L-R processing and then re-mix? - Cockos Confederated Forums and give it a try in Reaper, see how well it works and if it something you want to do with everything you record. Might be other ways to do, but I had found this quick.
Still think you'd be better off with a decent USB interface if you want to maintain separate tracks for each mic. Add a cheap mixer later if you think you really need one.

I can split the tracks in Audacity if necessary.
The problem with the USB interfaces that are decent, is that they are farely expensive, and I am on a fixed income.
That is why I was looking at an inexpensive mixer until I can afford something nicer.
I found an inexpensive audio interface from Behringer, but it only has one input for microphones.

What is your budget? Like, if you saved for a month or three? The fellas around here can surely come up with some good options.

I can split the tracks in Audacity if necessary.
The problem with the USB interfaces that are decent, is that they are farely expensive, and I am on a fixed income.
That is why I was looking at an inexpensive mixer until I can afford something nicer.
I found an inexpensive audio interface from Behringer, but it only has one input for microphones.
Check here > https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...294246769&view=GRID&setIPP=100&srtclk=itemspp once in a while. I've bought a used Behringer USB mixer there at a good savings over new.

Back