Multi tracks are they worth it?

farmskis

I plan on recording some vocals with a backing track. In searching for the backing tracks I came across multitrack backing tracks. I am curious if the advantages make it worth the extra money to purchase a multi track vs the single backing track? Do the multitracks make it any easier or help the vocal to sit in the mix better since you have a little more control over individual tracks?
Any suggestions on where to purchase quality backing tracks?

Hard to say...all depends on how good the vocals are if the extra money for multi tracks is worth it. :)
If you plan on really mixing, and making it sound right, it will be hard with a premixed single backing track to get a vocal to feel like its part of the whole production.

That said...it sounds like you're talking about covers, and you just want to add your vocals...in which case, TBH, I'm not sure it really matters how well the vocals blend.
Like, what's your goal exactly? That will drive your decision.

Yeah, it is tough to say what is good for your needs.

Curious what genre you are looking at recording vocals to?

I have used this site for a few pop female singers. The individual tracks do make it much more ideal to fit vocals in in the limited experience I have doing this kind of backing track thing.

The advantage of mulitrack backing tracks is that you can remove an instrument. For example if you are doing a live show and playing a guitar while singing you can remove the guitar from the backing track.

Alan.

Hard to say...all depends on how good the vocals are if the extra money for multi tracks is worth it. :)
If you plan on really mixing, and making it sound right, it will be hard with a premixed single backing track to get a vocal to feel like its part of the whole production.

That said...it sounds like you're talking about covers, and you just want to add your vocals...in which case, TBH, I'm not sure it really matters how well the vocals blend.
Like, what's your goal exactly? That will drive your decision.

The vocals are great. She is trained in vocal performance. We have done some limited recording and usually the issue is with my limited experience with recording mixing etc it is tough to get it to sound like the vocals set in the track. I have done quite a bit of research since we last tried it and now realize the importance of reverb and trying to match the space and also with the eq trying to match the quality like warmth, crispness etc. So I am looking for a the easiest way for a noob such as myself get the best chance at getting the vocals to set in the track.
We are simply trying to get a few songs on a cd that we could give to family as we live out of town and thought it might be a nice for Christmas season as they enjoy hearing her sing but rarely get a chance since we live so far away from everyone.

Yeah, it is tough to say what is good for your needs.

Curious what genre you are looking at recording vocals to?

I have used this site for a few pop female singers. The individual tracks do make it much more ideal to fit vocals in in the limited experience I have doing this kind of backing track thing.

Thank you for the link!
The genre is probably Christmas/Christian arrangements maybe a musical or two. She knows best off hand certain musical songs and worship songs as that is the most current she has been singing.

We are simply trying to get a few songs on a cd that we could give to family as we live out of town and thought it might be a nice for Christmas season as they enjoy hearing her sing but rarely get a chance since we live so far away from everyone.

OK...in that case I wouldn't sweat it too much. I thought maybe it was for some sort of singer audition/promotion purposes.
Since it's just holiday music for friends and family...they tend to be generally forgiving and not nit-picky about the details.
Sounds like you already have a handle on how to finesse the vocal track into the mix. You will have more flexibility with multi-tracks, but honestly, for Christmas music, you might do just fine with single, premixed backing tracks.

Back