Multi-track recording - guitar direct-out picking up kick drum?

constantchaos

Hello everybody,
I'm a newb to this website, but not necessarily a newb to recording. Here's my problem...

I recorded a 3 piece band yesterday (drums, guitar, vox). After recording the songs I noticed that when I single out the guitar track alone (which was direct out from the guitar head) was picking up the kick drum. We recorded drums and guitar simultaneously. I'm not sure if this is because the low frequency of the kick was somehow going through the guitar cabinet into the head? I'll put down the gear I use and maybe someone can come up with some kind of explaination. Maybe it's the guitarist amp rig?

Here's what I use..

Behringer MX2642A 20-Channel Mixer
2 Behringer Feedback Destroyers (for practice use)
A 6 Channel Headphone Amp
2 Delta 1010L Soundcards
2 1/4" to RCA 8-channel snakes (used for Insert on the mixing board to Delta1010L)
A set of 5 Peavey drum mics (each rating at the freq level for each drum)
Shure SM58 for vocals (untill we can afford a nice condenser mic)
And the program Reaper to record with.

Well thank you,

At first I thought the same thing with the pickups picking up the kick. But the guitarist was using an ESP with a single humbucker and I forgot the other guitar her used, but it happened on all the songs they recorded with both guitars. Shortly after they finished I used the same cord that was plugged into the back of his head, plugged it into my amp (B-52 solid state head with marshall cab) and played some guitar while the drummer was playing and the guitar track recorded fine. I was using an Epi Les Paul with dual humbuckers for that one. So I'm thinking somehow the kick must be resonating through his cab and into his head, or through his guitars. He was using a Peavey Triple Rec tube amp and peavey cab.

It's pretty strong in the recording. We have noise gates set up on all the drum mics. Please forgive my newbness, but I don't necessarily understand the crosstalk bleed. Everything that was recorded had it's own track.

The Direct Out is from the guitar AMP, correct? The cabinet's resonating would have nothing to do with the problem, I suppose if it was loud enough it could vibrate the tubes, but that would not be a genuine drum sound being picked up and re-transmitted. I suspect crosstalk/channel bleed at the mixer.

Cross talk/Channel bleed can happen on cheaper consoles especially when you solo a channel(s)
You'll get all kinds of spillage from one channel to an other.

Cross talk/Channel bleed can happen on cheaper consoles especially when you solo a channel(s)
You'll get all kinds of spillage from one channel to an other.

^^^^ Sounds like it, if not it could just be the guitar bodies we're resonant enough to transfer the vibrations of the kick to the pickups.

When mic'in acoustic guitar and if your tracking to the sound out monitors it can transfered through the guitars body to the recorded track i've had that before.

Muzza.

Back