Multi track recording

weeo

Hi All, Newbie here so apologies if this has been discussed before. I'm about to upgrade my recording system, but before i do i'd like some advice.
I'm a guitarist/vocalist ,using midifile backing tracks.
I use Audacity to convert midi files to WAV / mp3. I'd like to add further tracks guitar / harmonies etc. on to the original .
The problem i have is how can i overdub without the first track coming through the microphone as well.
Is there a mixing desk that can do this ? i'm thinking a switch main to headphones ??
or do i go down the Interface way ? Or is there something simple i am missing ?
I currently use Cakewalk to Windows thro a Roland JV1080 to an old Behringer desk.
Any help / advice would be appreciated, but i'm retired so please speak in language that this old guy would understand.
Thank You
Eddie

Well, yes, if you have yoru backing tracks plang through speakers, the sound is going to be picked up by the microphone. That's why closed-back headphones are used in the studio.

Headphones not the problem. Microphone is picking up The track .

Hmm? I think you mean the backing track is getting re-recorded along with the new material? If so this is a function of the recording software (called a DAW) and I dare say there is a way to stop it in Audacity but I would suggest you bite the bullet and get kitted out with a new rig.

Audacity is a great audio editor and if you know "software" a very powerful tool but as it comes it is not THE best 'DAW' for building tracks (I also did not think it 'did' MIDI but I have not tried) so, IMHO you need better software and you can kill two birds with one rock if you look for an Audio Interface that comes with a free DAW. I really rate the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and that comes with Cubase* reckoned to be one of the best for MIDI work. I think the Tascams also bundle a Cubase version.

Choice of AI is vast and just a couple of years ago it was quite a challenge to pick one but these days the 'Top Names' are all pretty good. Others are Focusrite, Zoom, Audient, Presonus and Behringer. If you don't like the free software there is always Reaper.

You say "multitrack" but if you are a One Man Band two inputs should suffice (the KA6 has 2 extra lines +digital) but think on for the future? DO be careful to get an AI with MIDI, not all have it!

*But I use Samplitude, have for donkey's too old to learn a new'un.

Dave.

Audacity is a great audio editor and if you know "software" a very powerful tool but as it comes it is not THE best 'DAW' for building tracks (I also did not think it 'did' MIDI but I have not tried) so, IMHO you need better software and you can kill two birds with one rock if you look for an Audio Interface that comes with a free DAW. I really rate the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and that comes with Cubase* reckoned to be one of the best for MIDI work. I think the Tascams also bundle a Cubase version.

Dave.
I didn't think Audacity was MIDI friendly either, but........... didn't play with to see what could be tweaked, but it plays a file....

Attachments

• audacity midi.jpg
    audacity midi.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 4
- The problem i have is how can i overdub without the first track coming through the microphone as well.
- Headphones not the problem. Microphone is picking up The track .
- I currently use Cakewalk to Windows thro a Roland JV1080 to an old Behringer desk.
Need some more info as to how things are connected to fill in some gaps :)

- How are you getting the microphone signal into the computer? Is it going through the Behringer desk to the 'MIC/LINE' input jack on the computer?

- Is it the microphone track that is 'picking up' the first track and not microphone itself? Is the first track mixing with the microphone track?

- How are you connecting the MIDI of Cakewalk > Windows > JV1080? 5 pin DIN cable connections with a MIDI interface?

thanks for your advice guys. Dave is right the problem i have is the backing track is getting re-recorded along with the new material. I've tried a few suggestions re Audacity and yes there is a way to have the track thro headphones only. I'm nearly there .I do plan on buying a new rig ,a new DAW and a midi interface. I'll let you know how things are progressing .Thanks again Dave and Mark

Back