Moving from Yamaha AW16G to hard disk recorder/mixer (if possible without DAW)

Tram

Hi
New to the forum and would appreciate your thoughts on my current dilemma.

I started recording using a Tascam 688 and then moved to a Yamaha AW16g since 2003. I find the AW16G frustrating because of the menus and miss the hands-on way of doing things with an analogue mixer. I've been looking at hard disk recorders (such as the Alesis HD24, Fostex D1624 and an external mixer) and wondered what is the simplest method for recording and mixing without using a DAW. From what I've discovered searching online, it seems quite complicated using a hard disk recorder, such as the HD24, with a separate mixer - bearing in mind, I've been using portastudios.

Typically, I record acoustic drums separately and fly them on to the AW16G. i then overdub various guitars, keyboards etc. I've had a look at Sonar, Ableton Live and ProTools and don't like the user interface. If I have to use a DAW, is there a very simple DAW that just behaves like a multitrack recorder which then feeds into a mixer?

I'd really appreciate your advice.
Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin,
There have been some interesting developments in hardware that might go some way toward your ideas?

Look at the Soundcraft Signature mixer range. Multitrack in and out of a PC* but using analogue mixer technology.

Allen and heath make a USB line in-line out converter that can be used with a mixer. There are others.

*I think you will find most DAWs can be configured to "look" like a m/track recorder (Samplitude even has "Tape Style Monitoring"!). Be surprised if Reaper cannot do that?

There will be those of course that say going "in and out of the Box" causes a loss of quality but with modern electronics I doubt that. Then there is the grunge school! Can't bloody win!

Dave.

Hi Dave
Thanks very much for your quick and helpful response. I'll definitely look into the USB converter - wasn't aware that they existed.

I've had a look at a couple of desks - the Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK, Allen and Heath ZR16, Mackie 1640i. The Soundcraft looked good initially but then I realised it has no inserts on it so I wouldn't be able to patch in a compressor. The A+H is expensive but there are 2 post and 2 pre effect returns and no 'solo track' buttons. From reviews of the Mackie, most of the gain is in the final 25% of the trim pot which would make it a bit tricky to adjust. I realise I’m going to have to make a choice based on the pros and cons of each desk and make a few compromises too.

I'm having a look at various free DAWs to see if they have the option of setting up the interface to resemble a tape recorder - and will also check out the ones you mentioned (Samplitude and Reaper) . When I saw some of the demos of products like Sonar, ProTools and Ableton Live, they were just too busy and complex/deep for what I want – basically a recorder as I’ll be doing mixing on the desk.

Thanks again
Martin

It was this..ICE SERIES - Allen & Heath

A&H product that I was thinking of. Essentially just a line level multitrack converter (can record to a stand alone hard drive as well) . That leaves you free to choose the mixer you really want, getting expensive tho!

I would think long and hard about any interface that is solely dependant on Firewire? The protocol seems to be in decline and you never know when Apple are going to jerk you around.

With regard to "tape like DAWs" I am sure you will find most of then can be setup for 16tracks as a "template" and once you have that sorted you are good to go. Since it does not matter to you about bells and whistles, might as well go with the cheapest and probably simplest (but don't poke under the hood!) Reaper.

Dave.

It was this..ICE SERIES - Allen & Heath

A&H product that I was thinking of. Essentially just a line level multitrack converter (can record to a stand alone hard drive as well) . That leaves you free to choose the mixer you really want, getting expensive tho!.

I have one of those. Simplicity at its finest.

Out of the mixer into the ice. Out of the ice back into the mixer. Just like a tape machine! No screen or computer needed. It has a usb port on the front for standalone use. It will record on a thumbdrive at 16 bits, but I use a usb 1terabyte SSD which gives you 24 bit.

With two units linked via firewire, you can get 32 tracks. A bit pricey at a grand per unit, but good stuff.

Using the usb in the back of the unit puts it all into a computer (Daw), but you can still do all your mixing through a desk.

I mainly use mine for 16 track tape dumps into protools. I can mix in pt or my mixer.
Oh, it sounds great also.
:D

Back