"Mono is dead"

If everyone had one ear in the middle of their forehead....I would worry about mixing in mono...;)...otherwise it's stereo all the way. I may hit the mono button on the console occasionally just to see where stuff is lining up, and maybe use that mono button to check the overall EQ of tracks blending in the mix....but I mix only with stereo in mind.

Yeah, if my songs ever make it to AM radio or at some major venue where the DJ is playing them on a mono PA...I might take a bit more notice....otherwise, even when you move around or in your car, a stereo mix sounds better, bigger and more 3D than any mono mix...as much as listened to nothing but mono as a kid, and love all the great AM radio hits....from a production/mixing perspective, working with stereo and setting up the image and depth is really part of the whole creative process for me. I simply don't care if anyone choose to listen to any of my stuff on some transistor radio with a single 2" speaker. :D

If you do like to check the stereo mix in mono...be aware of the level shift for any L+R tracks as they combine in the center. How much....will depend on which Pan Law you are using.

-----------------------------------

Last edited:
Detectives are cops. Cops like donuts. Elvis liked donuts. Must be some type of correlation here... Though Elvis could afford to send cops to get donuts. Why would he leave the building? Hmm...

It was me. I killed mono. Sorry, but he was just a bastard... someone had to do it.

And should I know or care who or what a Pensado is? :confused:

It was me. I killed mono. Sorry, but he was just a bastard... someone had to do it.

And should I know or care who or what a Pensado is? :confused:

Glad someone killed mono.

He is a pudgy dood and talks a bunch. Other than that he produced some stuff. Not sure I care either way. His show has not made me any better. Only watched a couple before I realized I was wasting my time. Plus, Judge Judy was on.

I had a place once. Got evicted because my mom couldn't pay the rent. Then we got a new place. Since, I have had a bunch of places. Now, my new place is pretty cool. I don't make a video tho, cuz my place is kinda personal. My personal place is not so Pensado. I am ok with that. :)

And here I was about to buy a single monitor so I can have something to mix on...without having to buy two monitors. (my room is lousy and doesn't even warrant mixing on 1980's walkman earmuffs)

I had a place once. Got evicted because my mom couldn't pay the rent. Then we got a new place. Since, I have had a bunch of places. Now, my new place is pretty cool. I don't make a video tho, cuz my place is kinda personal. My personal place is not so Pensado. I am ok with that. :)

What makes Pensado's Place cooler than your place or my place is that he actually has a crew and producer taking care of all the video stuff for him.

I'm sure if I had a crew and a producer....my place would be cool too. :cool:

G'day MAllen - long tme!
The justification for mono broadcasting is that many of those stations do interviews and "talkback". Stereo presents the medium to make that sound real with each voice coming from a different poistion and therefor simulating the dynamics of a conversation, (it seems this was quite an impportant factor in the development of stereo), BUT many people, particularly "talkback" listeners, have their speakers in non optimal positions like one in a room & the other elsehwere, or one speaker dead, or one on top of the other - you get the picture - they don't care about the stereo effect. Effectively a lot of the demographic would be listening to only one part of the conversation so the stereo image was compromised or removed entirely. Then there's the growth in partial deafness amongst that same demographic!

I am deaf in one ear ,my whole world is in Mono ,they should have mono switches on all stereo gear,I feel we are being discriminated. What!

I'm sure he was talking about mixing, not recording. For example, why would you stereo mic a lead singer?

He might have been making a value judgement on the sound of mono, too. ('It sounds so dead. I wish it were in living stereo instead!') Cuz I don't believe Pensado doesn't know how few people listen to stuff on good stereo. Except for him and me, I mean. And possibly you.

Back