Monitoring focusrite Scarlett

hattond

Hi
Apologies if in wrong section / been answered:

Tried sending to RCA jacks in home stereo amp. Unblanaced connection- causes all sorts of interference - nightmare

Is there anything I can put in between focusrite and stereo amp to solve this?

Otherwise any inexpensive monitoring suggestions. Really for basic mixing/panning on demos only

Thanks

Which Scarlett do you have? The 2i4 has unbalanced RCA outputs which you should be able to send to the stereo amp's aux, receiver or tape inputs (don't send to a phonograph input). If you're picking up RFI (radio frequency) or EMI (electromagnetic) noise, your cables may be crappy.

Which Scarlett do you have? The 2i4 has unbalanced RCA outputs which you should be able to send to the stereo amp's aux, receiver or tape inputs (don't send to a phonograph input). If you're picking up RFI (radio frequency) or EMI (electromagnetic) noise, your cables may be crappy.

2i2

Has two 3.5inch jack inputs which are apparently balanced

Hi Hattond, I shall bet you have a desktop computer or a laptop you are running with a charger attached? This has resulted in an "earth loop" (aka ground, hum loop).

You were in the right area when you suggested a "DI* box" but, as told, not what you want. Try one of these: AV Link Ground Loop Isolator: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

Ok, not Soooper-fi! But actually not that bad and they do the basic job of breaking the shield circuit perfectly well and that is not a lot of money for a "diagnostic" tool?
Note also above right? Two RCA to 1/4" adaptors for £2.19? These can be used with your existing RCA-RCA cable to output the F'rite. That Hosa cable is very fine I am sure but even here in Blighty we can get one for 1/3rd the price!

If that isolator does the job there are much better ones at a lot more money of course. Look up Art and if in EU Orchid Electronics. Or, there is a trick you can do which involves modifying the audio cables which carries no quality hit.

*A "DI Box" is generally a device that accepts the input from a passive electric guitar and presents said guitar with a fairly high impedance. It outputs at low, generally less than 600 Ohms impedance, balanced, earth free on an XLR at microphone level. Almost all DIs have a 'slave' out jack to feed an amp.
This terminology is for ever confused with the device YOU need which is a 1:1 transformer isolator, absolutely NOT suited to electric guitar.

Dave.

No, on the passive DI. You should be able to go from the 1/4" outputs on the back to the RCA inputs on your stereo.

Use these cables:

Hosa CPR-202 Dual 1/4 inch TS to Dual RCA Stereo Interconnect Cable, 6.6 feet: Amazon.com.au: Musical Instruments

And for the record, they are not 3.5 inch plugs. That would make them exceptionally large (queue the adolescent jokes). And they are Outputs, not Inputs. The Inputs are on the front panel.

Ha!
I MAY have just made that one up!
Got a feeling that is the cable I got will check
Thanks

Back