Modern and Vintage gear

ChristopherTheo

This is the only thread i can seem to find myself being able to write on as i've just made an account.
I'm new to tapes, and love them. I want to see if this set up would work, if anyone knows feel free to let me know.

An example would be, i want to record Bass. I was thinking of putting it straight threw an Avalon vt 737 (pre amp) to a vintage mixer such as a Tascam m 106 or M 30 and then into a reel to reel such as a Fostex r8 to create a warm vintage bass tone.

I conceptualise in my head but thats as far as I can get at the moment. If anyone knows if this set up works, how to go about hooking it all up, etc please feel free to comment!

Thanks ya'll x

Start going into the tape first and test out the rest by adding in first one and then the other, etc..Many prefer bass at 7 1/2ips or maybe cassette

Start going into the tape first and test out the rest by adding in first one and then the other, etc..Many prefer bass at 7 1/2ips or maybe cassette

I see, thank you dude. So bass into the tape first. then add the mixer/pre amp.

Any idea about how i'd hook that up?

I'm saying, you have to evaluate the gear individually, as much as possible. The mixer and preamp may be redundant, etc..

Headphones into tape machine and you run through the types of inputs, tape speeds, tape settings, and different formulations. Some machines will have user BIAS controls. Some will have expanded tape settings. If you find anything that shows promise, add in the other stuff to see if each can contribute something

Attachments

• dokorder_bias.jpg
    dokorder_bias.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 9
This is the only thread i can seem to find myself being able to write on as i've just made an account.
I'm new to tapes, and love them. I want to see if this set up would work, if anyone knows feel free to let me know.

An example would be, i want to record Bass. I was thinking of putting it straight threw an Avalon vt 737 (pre amp) to a vintage mixer such as a Tascam m 106 or M 30 and then into a reel to reel such as a Fostex r8 to create a warm vintage bass tone.

I conceptualise in my head but thats as far as I can get at the moment. If anyone knows if this set up works, how to go about hooking it all up, etc please feel free to comment!

Thanks ya'll x

What is your experience with simulated cabinets, heads, etc? Digital simulation has come a long way. While the exercise you're thinking of would be 'fun', it's likely unnecessary and wouldn't exceed what you could get with much greater ease and flexibility going digital. Thanks to the expanded processing power of your average home recording PC, getting 'warmth' from digital is just a matter of finding the right VSTs and/or plugins.

People can find reasons to use tape, but it's usually in the same context that you're looking to use it - more a "what if I" rather than "the best way I can do this is".

My $0.02

What is your experience with simulated cabinets, heads, etc? Digital simulation has come a long way. While the exercise you're thinking of would be 'fun', it's likely unnecessary and wouldn't exceed what you could get with much greater ease and flexibility going digital. Thanks to the expanded processing power of your average home recording PC, getting 'warmth' from digital is just a matter of finding the right VSTs and/or plugins.

People can find reasons to use tape, but it's usually in the same context that you're looking to use it - more a "what if I" rather than "the best way I can do this is".

My $0.02

I understand what your saying but the whole point of me asking this strange set up is to obtain that warm vintage sound whilst adding some digital attributes, I do like simulated cabs but its not what im looking for, thanks though

The emulations are great, I haven't invested in any as they seem kind of short on options, but it seems they are adding more formulations, etc..

If you are going for 7 1/2ips TEAC Bass on Scotch 203, You may not find that in a SIM : ) You won't find a Scotch 150 & older on a tube TEAC either !

I just took a look around for a test I did with bass guitar to interface, 7 1/2ips, and to my best cassette, but I can't seem to find it. I was interested in the cassette compression, for sure.

I understand what your saying but the whole point of me asking this strange set up is to obtain that warm vintage sound whilst adding some digital attributes, I do like simulated cabs but its not what im looking for, thanks though
No. You want a warm vintage process. How it sounds ultimately has nothing to do with that. It's all just filters and distortion either way. I'm not trying to imply a value judgement here (though I know which way I'd go). Just saying the sound you want can be accomplished without all the vintage analog mojo.

No. You want a warm vintage process. How it sounds ultimately has nothing to do with that. It's all just filters and distortion either way. I'm not trying to imply a value judgement here (though I know which way I'd go). Just saying the sound you want can be accomplished without all the vintage analog mojo.

Okay cool, so with the sound set up im going for in mind, what would you recommend??

Okay cool, so with the sound set up im going for in mind, what would you recommend??
TBH, I could probably do it with a long string of ReaEQs and ReaComps and one or two of my JS slew-rate limiters and maybe a DC generator. I'd probably cheat and use my JS diode clipper at some point because it talks in volts rather than dbs, so it makes approximating actual circuits a little easier.

;)

Back