Mixing monitor and sub- how would I connect LSR305 to this sub?

conanthewarrior

Hello everyone, I have recently got into production, and am in the process of converting a room into a dedicated studio.

Money is tight for me- I'm recovering from a serious illness so am not working, and doing this is to pass the time, and also so I have learnt something worthwhile I can continue when I am better.

This weekend, I am getting JBL LSR305s's. I eventually want to add a sub.

I could get this sub which I think will work- Swissonic Sub10 – Thomann UK

Am I correct in thinking I would send the TRS outputs from my Focusrite interface, into the subwoofer, and then left and right outputs to the monitors? I want to used balanced TRS leads for this at +4dbv?

EDIT: Also, where would I set the low pass filter? The HBL's go down to 43 HZ, would I set it here, or a bit higher so the JBL's don't have to go down so low?

Thanks for the help, Conan.

Last edited:
Hi Conan..........as I recall you are wanting to produce music that tends to have lots of low end........so this set up should / could work for you......although I know nothing about the sub you are looking at.........just what the description tells me.

Yes.......based on the link you sent......you can connect the JBL's to the sub the way you want to. As for setting the crossover.........I would begin by setting it at the 43 Hz point and working from there. You need to be VERY VERY sure that your room is not lying to you..........especially when it comes to bass and sub bass. That's critical and can cause you lots of wasted time and effort. If you spend some time searching through the threads here........you should get a good idea of where to start to get your room right. Whatever you do........don't assume that room treatment is not needed.

Hope you're getting well fast and keep us in the loop.

Without looking at the sub's specs, I'd say you would want the X-over at around 80Hz, the JBLs start dropping off around that point. If the sub's high end is under 100 Hz, maybe try 60 Hz.

Thank you all for the helpful replies, and putting up with my questions.

I tend to worry quite a lot, I find things more confusing than most people due to what happened and how my thought process now works. I do apologise if my questions ever seem silly.

I do need room treatment, that is no.1 on my list. As soon as I have the money, I will be getting some basics. I first had to get a desk though to actually put everything on. It does seem I will need a sub due to some of the genres I will be working on being very reliant on bass. I realise I need to be careful though with what it provides in my room.

I will read the article thoroughly that you provided [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION], thank you.

Back