Mixing down from cubase onto desktop then to usb

daavid

Hi does anyone know the best way to mix from your DAW (mine is Cubase) onto usb without the stereo mix sounding poor. At the moment I do a Mixdown onto the desktop on a Waive file which plays back on windows media player I then just drag it from there onto my usb and take it to the car or stereo to listen to the mix somehow the mixes are completely different, I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Thanks.

It will always sound different on different sound systems in different listening environments. The art of mixing is to make it sound good on pretty much any system in pretty much any environment.

I think the answer to your problem, then, is to get better at mixing. Listen to your mix in multiple places and note what is wrong with it there, then make adjustments to your mix.

Does your mixing environment have acoustic treatment? If not, it can be difficult to make mixes that translate well. What are you using to monitor when mixing?

Hi thanks for your reply I appreciate your thoughts and you are probably correct, I was wondering if when I mix-down I'm losing too much of the Umf from what I hear on cubase, I'm using Tannoys for monitoring there about 10 years old and they do sound very flat, before mixing down these rough mixes Iv'e been putting it through cubase's maximiser which really lifts the track. I'm not totally new to sound mixing and I do understand about cutting rather than boosting, but I'm more from a tape background than digital, if for example my mixes are correct could you suggest anything to put them through that will help.

Thanks.

If your mixes sound good in your mixing room, but don't translate well to other systems, then I'd look at the mixing room - do you have aocustic treatment (bass traps, etc)?

Irrespective of what issues you have with the sound of your mixdowns, there is nothing in the process you describe that will have an affect on them. Mixing to a WAV file to your desktop is fine. Playing in media player won't have an effect. Dragging ti from there to USB to play in the car won't have an effect . . . unless in the course of doing that you are converting to a low-quality MP3 or similar.

Hi thanks for reply I don't think its the room all of my recording is done DI within the computer the only live sound is the vocals which are fine it just dose'nt sound right on my stereo it's as if something gets lost when I drag to usb.

Cheers

Hi Thanks for your reply I hear what your saying but is it possible to loose quality when mixing down to usb in your oppinion.

Cheers.

HI I think i know what your saying but i can assure you I'm no Greenhorn Iv'e been in and out of professional studios for years in those days it was done for you, now you have to do it yourself and thats what I'm trying to learn,I'm sorry but i dont think glib comments like yours help anyone for the life if me Trying to sound cool means usually the opposite.

Hi thanks for reply I don't think its the room all of my recording is done DI within the computer the only live sound is the vocals which are fine it just dose'nt sound right on my stereo it's as if something gets lost when I drag to usb.

Cheers

The room can influence the sound in two ways. The first is when you mike something up. You've said that you are using DI, so that's one source of influence eliminated. The second is when you do your mixing. When you listen to the song through speakers, the shape, size and acoustic properties of the room will mess around with the sound. It's possible that your room is causing you to mix in a particular way. It sounds great in your room, but when you play it somewhere else, it sounds bad.

Mixing or dragging it to a USB will not be the cause of your problems, unless, as I noted above somewhere, you are mixing to a low-quality MP3.

Back