Mixer that allows custom sounds loaded directly to the board?

Scrub Lord Mike

I'm looking for a mixer that will allow me to load custom sound files (WAV/MP3) onto it and have them played back with a key on the board itself. Currently using an Zoom H4n having 1 input for my mic and 2nd to a smartphone running a generic soundboard but would like to upgrade to a multi channel mixer and eliminate having to use a 2nd device for real time sounds (applause, boo's, insults etc...) anyone know of a solution?

I don't think there's a mixer that has sampling integrated like that. What are you doing with this setup? It sounds like a live performance of some type, but is the audience in person or online? What mixer are you using now?

I was thinking the same. I don't feel like you need a mixer as you'd still need a second device for playing your samples.
As BSG says, tell us more about your plans and present setup. :)

Welcome to HR!

Thanks for the responses! I don't currently use a mixer, I just use my Zoom H4n as an audio I/F and run a mic into one input and then just an aux to XLR into the 2nd input and just have a smart phone hooked to it that I use to play a handful of 1 to 2 second flavor sounds (applause, price is right fail sound and some other fun stuff). Audience is online and typically live recorded, I want to say that I've seen this done before by Team Four Star on one of their live streams where the audience was able to see their mixer, nothing fancy looked like a standard 8 channel mixer but had a row of red buttons towards the bottom right that activated different stored sounds.

If you want to keep it simple, you could use something like a boss Dr sample SP 202 or a SP 303 and load the sounds into that? You could then plug this into a mixer if you still want a mixer? The Dr sample's have been discontinued but plenty of secondhand ones out there cheap. You could also look at the Akai MPC series of samplers, these are better then the boss ones but more expensive. I was thinking of a MPC 500, but these too have been discontinued, seems to have been replaced with a MPC live. You will pick up a second hand MPC 500 at a reasonable price.

I have used both a SP 202 and a MPC 1000 (big brother to the MPC 500) in a live band situation and both worked well, either by button operation or midi triggering.

Alan.

EDIT Time, it looks like there is a cheaper AKAI option, the MPX16, heres a LINK

Last edited:
If you want to keep it simple, you could use something like a boss Dr sample SP 202 or a SP 303 and load the sounds into that? You could then plug this into a mixer if you still want a mixer? The Dr sample's have been discontinued but plenty of secondhand ones out there cheap. You could also look at the Akai MPC series of samplers, these are better then the boss ones but more expensive. I was thinking of a MPC 500, but these too have been discontinued, seems to have been replaced with a MPC live. You will pick up a second hand MPC 500 at a reasonable price.

I have used both a SP 202 and a MPC 1000 (big brother to the MPC 500) in a live band situation and both worked well, either by button operation or midi triggering.

Alan.

EDIT Time, it looks like there is a cheaper AKAI option, the MPX16, heres a LINK

THANK YOU! you got me looking in the right direction, decided to go with an AKAI but the MPX8 instead of the 16. Amazon.com: Akai Professional MPX8 | 8-Pad Sample Player with SD Card Slot: Musical Instruments

Back