Mixcraft ............... Is it any good ?

I think so. I bought Mixcraft Pro Studio 6 a couple of years ago, and upgraded to Pro Studio 7 a few months ago. Version 7 is now available as a 64-bit program that works seamlessly with either 32-bit or 64-bit plugins-- a bridge is built in, so you don't need to download and install one separately. If you like Ableton Live's "Session View," Mixcraft has an equivalent feature that can be used with a launch pad controller to launch clips. Mixcraft also has a notation view for people who like to look at and edit their clips in a traditional music notation format. I've been using Mixcraft for controlling my keyboards, and it's really easy to create splits and layers beyond what my keyboards allow from their panel controls, or to create clips to automate MIDI control changes (e.g., LPF cutoff frequency).

You can try it for free, so by all means, download the trial and see what you think of it.

Have you used your YPT-210 with your Windows 7 PC yet? The YPT-210 has MIDI In/Out ports rather than a USB-to-Host port, so you'll need to get a MIDI-to-USB adapter, or better yet (but more expensive) an audio interface. I can't help with either of those, since I have zero personal knowledge and experience with those, but I can certainly try to help with Mixcraft.

It's like a more powered version of audacity, but still lacks many features if you wanna go the professional way.

I'd go with cubase, reaper or studio one.

Out of curiosity, what features do you think it is lacking?

Edit: Is it possible that you were thinking of MixPad rather than Mixcraft? I would agree that MixPad is "like a more powered version of audacity"-- that's actually a pretty accurate way of describing it-- but Mixcraft is a different product from a different company.

Last edited:
It's like a more powered version of audacity

Apples and oranges. Audacity is an audio editor with an interface that is comparable to software of the DOS-based Windows era. Mixcraft is a fully fledged DAW that is more comparable to programs like Apple's GarageBand, though with each new release, it continues to improve and distinguish itself.

For a beginner, I think this is one of the best programs you could try. It doesn't have a very steep learning curve, but understand that all recording software will have somewhat of a learning curve. I've been using it for years, since Mixcraft 6, and for what I do, I have no need, or plans, to "upgrade" to a different program. Give it a try!

Apples and oranges. Audacity is an audio editor with an interface that is comparable to software of the DOS-based Windows era. Mixcraft is a fully fledged DAW that is more comparable to programs like Apple's GarageBand, though with each new release, it continues to improve and distinguish itself.

For a beginner, I think this is one of the best programs you could try. It doesn't have a very steep learning curve, but understand that all recording software will have somewhat of a learning curve. I've been using it for years, since Mixcraft 6, and for what I do, I have no need, or plans, to "upgrade" to a different program. Give it a try!

Still, as a beginner, I'd go with Cubase because even if you invest in the full version for about $500., Cubase 8 has the basics laid out and simple to understand features for the novice user. I can see Cubase eliminating it's lessor sophisticated versions in the near future and offering only one full version newbies can "grow" into where you can choose which ever level you're most comfortable with as time progresses. I mean, why bother with introductory versions, installations, and limitations when you could have the real deal and update as you go? I don't know, It's seems a little redundant to offer limited versions of the same DAW. Just saying.. Kinda like buying a Cadillac with no GPS, air, and only the standard features. Just get a Chevy instead. Yeah, if you never intend to do in-depth, serious recording/mixing/editing sessions, just grab a Garage Band program, Mixcraft, or any of the free or cheaper DAW's.

Back a few years I bought a piece of software (wasn't audio software) that let you buy the full package for a cheap price. You then could "unlock" features you wanted it to have via d/l to a dongle. I could see this happening with DAWs in the near future.

I bought Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio about a year and a half ago. The last recording I did was on a 4 track tape recorder in the 90's. I find it pretty easy to use. Although, I'm not very computer smart. lol I have not had any problems. I learn something new everyday. I love it. Recorded our band, one track at a time, now I'm at the mixing phase. Which I will remix it once I get my studio built with some acoustic treatment to it. Just my two cents.

Hey there,

I'm a hobbyist who's been recording somewhat seriously for only about a year now. I picked up Mixcraft 7 and haven't looked back. Some people tout it as a Windows version of Garageband, it isn't, not even close. MC7 is a complete DAW with pretty much all the bells and whistles that every other DAW has, at a great price.

Having said that, DAW's are personal and every one of them has positives and negatives for the user. I like MC7 because of the ease of use, the included vsts, instruments and TONS of samples. A great way to delve into the digital recording world. And again, the price can't be beat.

M

Yeah, if you never intend to do in-depth, serious recording/mixing/editing sessions, just grab a Garage Band program, Mixcraft, or any of the free or cheaper DAW's.

I think this is very unfair and indicative of some of the snobbish and elitist attitudes that exist in the music world. First of all why does there have to be a distinction made between whether someone is making music seriously or not? This is ridiculous, surely the whole point of making music is to have fun and enjoy yourself and show some kind of personal expression? Do you just sit there with a constant scowl on your face in deep concentration, taking everything you're doing seriously? No you don't, of course not and so this idea that people not taking music seriously and are just somehow playing at it and therefore don't deserve to be using "proper" DAWs and equipment is just stupid and ignorant.

There is nothing wrong with Mixcraft or any DAW for that matter and you can make all kinds of music at various levels of complexity with the software. Not everyone can afford some of the more expensive and well-known DAWs out there and when you are starting out then they can appear very daunting. I say give Mixcraft a shot, it's obviously been able to pique your interest and so there's no reason not to. I have Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio at the moment and will be getting a new PC soon so will upgrade to version 7 then but I am also going to get Ableton and Push. Not because I don't like Mixcraft or want to suddenly become "serious" but because I want to learn a different way of making music. That's all that these DAWs are, just different ways of making music and there is no right or wrong DAW, just whichever you like the look of really.

AfxTwn, you won't regret upgrading to version 7, and in my opinion there's no need to wait on a new computer. If you currently have a 32-bit computer and you're waiting until you get a 64-bit computer, you can still get version 7 now, because after you've purchased the license you can download and install either version (32 or 64 bits) as needed. You can install the 32-bit version now on a 32-bit computer, then download and install the 64-bit version later on a 64-bit computer.

By the way, you mentioned Ableton Live and Push. Version 7 has a performance panel that lets you create, organize, and launch clips, just as in Ableton Live and Bitwig Studio. It works with the launch pad controller of your choice, so I recommend using Mixcraft 7 with an affordable launch pad controller before you spend several hundred dollars on Live and Push-- not that I'm trying to dissuade you from buying Live if you want it (after all, I do have Live myself, and I would buy every ultimate version of every DAW if I could afford it).

Thanks SgtGruff! I do have 64 bit now and will upgrade (there's just an issue with pricing as for some reason in the UK I am being charged more than twice the US price, so waiting on Mixcraft to get back to me), like you said I can always download it again on my future PC. Thanks also for the heads-up about Mixcraft having a new similar panel to how Ableton works. I think I will give it a try and buy a much cheaper launchpad controller of some sort.

I am going to treat myself and get a new 34 inch monitor too (have my eye on an LG curved model) as this will effectively allow me to have a two-monitor experience with just one as LG's software is very good at splitting program views side-by-side. So I will be able to have Mixcraft open and also some tutorial videos without having to switch between the two views.

Hey,

I'm a member of the Acoustica forum and know that they'll take care of your pricing issue. Another plus for MC is the forum, some nice and helpful folks there. Otherwise MC7 is a great DAW and as I mentioned, you won't find anything like it for the price.

I use two screens too and it's definitely helpful. I put MC on one and my VST's on the other. Just make sure that when you're recording that you shut down all other programs, especially browsers. I go offline when recording.

M

Back