MIDI in/out on a keyboard: when it is/isn't needed

joey2000

Background: I'm looking at doing some composing/recording, but it will be the keyboard only, nothing external. If the keyboard has a sequencer and the ability to save off my recordings directly ie as WAVs/MP3s (like to a jump stick), does MIDI in/out on the keyboard have any value there? (I will not be "gigging" FYI)

PS I get what MIDI itself is, but more broadly I guess I'm trying to nail down when and why these jacks would or wouldn't be needed on the keyboard itself. (And much to my surprise, not all new keyboards have a MIDI in/out) Is it all about connecting to the PC?

Many keyboards offer MIDI via USB now. MIDI would allow you to record your keyboard's control signals to drive another MIDI device (or virtual instrument), and if you used both the keyboard's audio output (through an audio interface) and the MIDI to your computer and DAW, you could have both tracked at the same time.
Over time, you might find editing and recording/sequencing from a computer and software much more versatile than on a keyboard wiht sequencer.

I personally wouldn't interested in using a keyboards sequencer functions. I would rather see the midi on a screen lined up with the rest of the tracks. But that's personal preference. I still have bad memories of trying to do everything on a tiny little LCD screen and not understanding the keyboard's workflow.

DAW software these days are so much more intuitive and powerful.

If you can export the MIDI data from the keyboard, then you could reuse it by importing into the DAW. Alignment could be a PITA, but if you make sure you have the BPMs, time signature set before, might not be a problem.

Did I understand the actual sounds from the keyboard can be exported as a wave? If that is true, then an interface and MIDI wouldn't be required, but if you did want to drive a VSTi and do it real time, then you would want MIDI. I say this because sometimes I will the sound of the instrument will determine how I play it in relationship to a song. Say if it has a long release, I may just stab at it. If it is short attack and release I may play more notes, but either way, the VSTi characteristics will determine how it is used in the song. Something to consider.

Midi in and out is very handy for:

* exporting and importing data
* connecting other sequencing devices (e.g. drum machines)
* connecting other sound modules

Many more recent keyboards do not have DIN midi in and out, and instead use USB for this. I would not be happy with one of these. To me, it's a bit like a tractor without a PTO.

Midi in / out is very handy when you are an average keyboard player like me LOL, I record my playing to the midi software then I can fix up any dodgy note via midi and then play the keyboard from the software. It is also handy if you decide that the keyboard sound was not right but you have played the whole song, you can just change the sound on the keyboard and what you already played can be used. Of course you can just play a verse and a chorus etc and copy the midi notes in where required.

Midi is very good when it comes to drum programming using a drum map, especially if you are producing dance music, because again when the program is finished you can change the drum sounds around without having to reprogram the song, some of the dance music I have produced had several different drum kits in a single song and the midi program change would switch kits.

I used to be in a band (live electronic dance music) that had live sequencing, we had midi running the drum samples, keyboard modules, triggering the sampler and setting up the keyboards that were being played by actual people to the correct sounds for the song even switching keyboard sounds during a song, great fun.

Midi may be considered old technology but it is very useful.

Alan.

Use it (i.e. buy gear with it) or lose it!

There is a modern trend to leave MIDI ports off gear such as AIs and some pretty expensive ones at that!

All sorts of justifications have been mooted by manufacturers and non-MIDI recordists such as "why should I pay for MIDI on an AI/KBD when I am not using it and don't want it?" Fair point, if it were true! The fact is that including MIDI at the design stage cannot really be that costly since there are and have been several sub £100 AIs made with MIDI. Maybe some AI peeps don't really understand it?

Bottom line is that there is a H of a lot of DIN equipped MIDI gear about and you cannot use it without DINs on AI and keys. Drum machines, older, pre USB synths and of course many guitar amps and other gear.

Whenever I see a review of an AI sans MIDI ports I complain, please do the same chaps.

Dave.

You're kidding. What would be the point of an AI without MIDI ports? Isn't that kind of like making a blender without the mixing blades?

You're kidding. What would be the point of an AI without MIDI ports? Isn't that kind of like making a blender without the mixing blades?

Hah! Then, there is very little DAW software that does not have at least some MIDI capability, probably because early soundcards always, AFAIK incorporated MIDI? FFS! Even the dire Sound blasters could run MIDI if you bought a gameport adaptor cable.

Dave.

Ummm, no. The 'A' in AI stands for audio, not midi. Midi is an optional feature added to AI's. It is not the main function of an AI.

And really, most midi controllers use USB now. There really is no need for the old DIN style midi ports except where you want to daisy chain them. And even then, you can just use multiple USB ports. With VSTi's being the predominant sound source, I really don't think there are too many people daisy-chaining their midi devices.

Bottom line is that there is a H of a lot of DIN equipped MIDI gear about and you cannot use it without DINs on AI and keys. Drum machines, older, pre USB synths and of course many guitar amps and other gear.

I've got one number for you, Dave... 2015. :)

If you're still stuck in the 20th century with DIN's, a DIN to USB converter is less than $5USD. All those old midi synths are still usable.

All my music gear has MIDI. I use a master keyboard, that feeds Cubase. Cubase then feeds all my synths and samplers. However, over the last 18 month sort so, the devices being used to produce the sounds are getting less and less use as I move across to better sounding VSTi's, and most stuff is now produced in the computer. I have some VSTis that mimic real keyboards I've had in the past, and they sound better, so I don't need the MIDI outputs for most projects. I could use USB from the master keyboard, but MIDI is fine.

I'd be kinda screwed if I don't have DIN's on a MIDI controller.... (yeah, there's round-a-bout way to do it with USB, but I prefer to keep an interface and computer out of the equation :) )

KAWAI K1M SOUND MODULE
KAWAI K3M SOUND MODULE
KORG 05R/W SOUND MODULE
KORG EX-800 MODULE
KORG MS-2000 MODULE
KORG WAVESTATION SR RACK
OBERHEIM MATRIX 1000
ROLAND MKS-20 PIANO MODULE
ROLAND MKS-30 SYNTH MODULE
ROLAND MKS-50
ROLAND SH-32 SYNTH
YAMAHA A-5000 SAMPLER
YAMAHA AN-200 MODULE
YAMAHA DX-200 MODULE
YAMAHA EX5R SYNTH MODULE
YAMAHA FB-01 SYNTH MODULE
YAMAHA TG77 SYNTH W/SOUND CARDS
YAMAHA TX1P PIANO MODULE
YAMAHA TX16W SAMPLER
YAMAHA TX16W SAMPLER
YAMAHA TX802
WALDORF MICRO Q MODULE

Some old school stuff. I still use a controller I bought in 1989, PC100 and used it on a Roland MPU 401 card. I still have the card, but it doesn't fit into anything. Cost me $800, so I just won't throw it away. But the sound by today's standard is, well, not so great really.

I've got one number for you, Dave... 2015. :)

If you're still stuck in the 20th century with DIN's, a DIN to USB converter is less than $5USD. All those old midi synths are still usable.

That cheap eh? So, fitting one inside an AI must be real peanuts! Very modern people like RME go to the trouble of fitting MIDI capability when it needs a breakout cable on their Baby AI. If RME think it is that important to keep MIDI alive I am with RME.

Then, laptops tend not to be festooned with USB ports.

Dave.

Back