(MIDI) Interface; putting it all together

GIREFA

Hello everyone, since I'm new to this forum I decided to post these questions here and not in one of the specific forums.

Over the past fews years I've been building up my gear to the point where I'm now almost ready to start the learning proces of recording. All of my gear (listed below) has a built-in USB - Interface and line outs, which means I have some choices as to how to get the signals to my PC. In total, I want to simultaneously record my digital piano, two guitar amps and a digital recorder with built-in mic. My gear is as following (only the pieces that will connect to the PC):

Zoom H5 recorder (built-in mic and possibly both guitars through the line-ins; Line out and USB out),
2x Yamaha THR10 (digital guitar amps; Line out and USB out),
KAWAI ES110 (piano; 2x Line out, MIDI out and usb out)

I'd preferably use the USB out of the Zoom H5, Audio outs of the Yamaha THR10's (although the USB has the added benefit of an added 'dry' track), and the MIDI out of the KAWAI to use with plugins.

It seems my options are as following:
1. Use a USB interface with at least 2x Line ins (guitar amps) and Midi in (dig piano) and the USB recorder (mic)
2. Use my digital recorder as interface for the 2 guitar amps and the microphone (guitar amps and mic), and have a seperate cheap MIDI interface for the dig piano (dig piano)
3. Use a USB-hub to connect all 4 devices' USB outs to the PC (I don't have enough spare USB ports on my PC to connect the devices individually)

I don't particulary like option 3 since I have had bad experiences with USB hubs, but if someone has had good experiences with a similar setup I'd love to know. Option 1 seems like the most logical option, but also the most expensive. Option 2 is probably cheaper than option 1, but I have no experience whatsoever with low-end MIDI interfaces (I've seen ones from as low as 15 bucks), so I don't know whether they are reliable compared to low-end interfaces (in the 150 bucks ball park).

I'd love to hear your opinions on how to tie these pieces of gear together :)

Would have been solved, if you had been recording those few years.

For me, I'm not recording the same way all the time. I was using a toshiba USB hub as I did expand USB a bit for some things, but I have a A/C powered stand-alone on the way

You cannot run two USB AIs at once using ASIO drivers. Most interfaces won't work well or at all via a hub.

One that does I have found is the Komplete Audio 6. This has 2 mic/line/instr inputs and 2 more balanced line inputs, MIDI and S/PDIF. Will that connection regime solve your problem?

Mind you, I cannot guarantee the KA6 will work on any hub on any PC. Always best to give AIs a dedicated port.

Dave.

You cannot run two USB AIs at once using ASIO drivers. Most interfaces won't work well or at all via a hub.

One that does I have found is the Komplete Audio 6. This has 2 mic/line/instr inputs and 2 more balanced line inputs, MIDI and S/PDIF. Will that connection regime solve your problem?

Mind you, I cannot guarantee the KA6 will work on any hub on any PC. Always best to give AIs a dedicated port.

Dave.

Thanks a lot for your informative reply. I wasn't aware that ASIO drivers only allow one AI at a time, that's a biggie. I guess in that case my only real option is to buy an interface with at least 3 inputs (only need one for the mic) and MIDI, but it seems like there are some fairly affordable options out there (i.e. steinberg ur242).

On second thought; are MIDI interfaces seperate from the ASIO drivers? I already have the option of using the Zoom recorder for all the audio inputs, if the MIDI is seperate I could still get a seperate MIDI interface.

Thanks a lot for your informative reply. I wasn't aware that ASIO drivers only allow one AI at a time, that's a biggie. I guess in that case my only real option is to buy an interface with at least 3 inputs (only need one for the mic) and MIDI, but it seems like there are some fairly affordable options out there (i.e. steinberg ur242).

On second thought; are MIDI interfaces seperate from the ASIO drivers? I already have the option of using the Zoom recorder for all the audio inputs, if the MIDI is seperate I could still get a seperate MIDI interface.

I understand that ASIO drivers for multiple devices HAVE been promised but by a politician it seems!

I was a bit hasty! Yes, you can run a USB AI (for audio) and another for just MIDI I understand. I have not tried this with two USB devices but certainly have run my KA6 (audio) with an on board M-A 2496 card for just MIDI so it is likely for instance that a USB MIDI keyboard would be fine alongside a USB AI.

The Steinberg range have attracted an excellent rep but I would still bet on the KA6 for lowest latency and most stable drivers.

AIs and hubs? Yes, as I said, one of mine works fine but I would not base a system on the expectation of it working for every combination!

Dave.

MIDI, despite what it is hooked up to, isn't more complicated than old ring networking . Half the boys line-up to transmit from your device, while the other half are waiting to receive. That there may be a MIDI connection close to audio connections just means is easier to find

Back