MIDI inputs, Addictive Drums and Cubase

mattsnoise

Hello everyone - I am having trouble making up a rythym from scratch using Cubase and the Addictive Drums plug-in. I am aware that XlN Audio (makers of Addictive Drums) recommend dragging and dropping a pre-constructed beat into Cubase and then opening it and moving it about beat at a time until you have the apporpriate thing you wnat. The way round this is to use a MIDI input from a keyboard to automatically put in the midi beats.
I know that if you insert as instrument track in cubase it will open and associate a midi track with it as this is how I have set it up.

What I think I need to know is how do I make a keyboard (connected via a MIDI to USB wire) record in Cubase as MIDI inputs, and how do I make the Addictive Drums sounds associate with thiose MIDI inputs. (although woudl I be correct in thinking it will automatically associate the sounds with the MIDI if in Cubase the Instrument track is set up with a MIDI track as part of it?)

Argh, I'm confusing myself again - anyone help please!!?!?!

Thanks!

Hey.

when your trying to make a beat do you have the drum editor on?

I use my digital piano as my general midi controller, which just connects with a usb cable, if thats the case for you just read the manual and it will tell you how to install the drivers for your computer to rconize it, if its just a USB to MIDI cable then just plug in the MIDI in and out into the right port on your keyboard and it should reconise it without having to do anything. if it doesnt work try swaping the MIDI in and out around. and see if that makes any different. if it works right when your in cubase on the side menu for the track there will be a box that says MIDI input and MIDI output, in MIDI in selct the device which should be called USB-MIDI.

hope it helps

Hey.

when your trying to make a beat do you have the drum editor on?

if it works right when your in cubase on the side menu for the track there will be a box that says MIDI input and MIDI output, in MIDI in selct the device which should be called USB-MIDI.

I am presuming you mean the boxes that are called Input Routing and Output Routing. Under the Input Routing I have the options 'Not Connected' and 'All MIDI Inputs'. Under the Output Routing box I have 'Not Connected' '1-Addictive Drums' 'Casio Keyboard - Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth' and then 'Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth'

Currently, the input reads 'All MIDI Inputs' and the output '1-Addictive Drums'
There is no sign in Cubase that the keyboard's MIDI send is registering in Cubase.

I am not sure whether the drum editor is on or not, as I have specified the instrument track to be an 'Addictive Drums' Instrument track then i presume it is.

Thanks.

Ok have you tried switching the MIDI cables around on your keyboard, i had a simalar problem a while ago and that was the problem.

you can try going on the task bar under MIDI>reset. and see if that does anything.

Go on Devices>devicesetup and on the side at the top it says MIDI have a look there and see MIDI inputs.

reguarding the drum editor,
look on the side pannel below the MIDI in and out dropdowns there is a box that will say No Drum Map click on that and select GM map then select the draw tool to draw a track in the time line and double click on that. if that works have a play around

Thankyou thankyou thankyou - that wonderful MIDI reset button did the trick - the kleyboard has appeared and it is jow playing and recording addictive drums in Cubase!!!!!!! something so simple after so many hours.....

Thankyou! :D

Thankyou thankyou thankyou - that wonderful MIDI reset button did the trick - the kleyboard has appeared and it is jow playing and recording addictive drums in Cubase!!!!!!! something so simple after so many hours.....

Thankyou! :D

No worries mate. the best piece of advice i can give you now is to use the drum editor in cubase for your drums, its simple to use and gets good results. glad i could help!

Also its best to turn on the keyboard before you open cubse

Back