MIDI Hookup

GonzoGuy

Hey there. I am brand new to this forum. I love it already. This is my first post. I need help to PROPERLY wire/hook all my MIDI devices together. So you know these are the items I am using. I add PROPERLY in caps, not because of anyone here. Because of me. I have no clue how to hook up MIDI, Even improperly

KORG MS 2000 (synth)

YAMAHA AN 200 (something called a modeling synth)

ALESIS SR-16 (drum machine)

BOSS GT-3 (guitar effects processor)

TASCAM 424mkIII (analog porta studio which seems to have an "in only" MIDI port.

Plan on going from the musical devices into the computer. There I will use a digital studio. (have not decided which yet) Then into the TASCAM (which may be redundant. I honestly have no clue.) Then make my own CDs. I am sure this (or something like this) has been addressed previously. Any help, even if it's "Hey dumb*ss here's the link to that subject", will be greatly appreciated.

The first thing you need is a midi interface like this one.

Then you need to plug the midi out of the MS 2000 into the midi in of the interface after turning local on/off to the 'off' setting. Korg has a 'global' page where this is found --- check your manual. Setting the 'local' to off breaks the connection between the keyboard and the sounds inside and is ideal for sequencing.

Next, plug the midi out of the interface into the midi in of the MS2000, then plug the midi thru of the MS2000 into the midi in of the AN200, then the thru of the AN200 to the input of the SR16. Make sure they're all set to recieve on their own midi channels, and that the clocks of both the AN200 and the SR16 are set to external - that way the computer will act as the master tempo provider.

As far as software goes, some get by just fine with N-tracks which is a shareware package, but I recommend Tracktion both for simplicity and power. It has a one-page graphic user interface and is very easy to get started with. It records audio too, so you'll probably want to consider an audio interface to go with the midi interface above. The good news is they will happily reside side by side in the same computer...

You can work in the guitar fx and the 4-track into this setup, but those instructions are probably best left for later on.

Back