Midi drum kit graphical display?

joblake326

Hi
I have a Yamaha DX562 midi drum set.
Is there a way to feed its midi out to my iPad and have some kind of midi software show a graphical display that shows things like waveforms, triggers, drum heads being hit, whatever. Basically anything that can be used in a video along with actual footage of the drums being played. I’m making a music video and think that it would be interesting to include these midi based graphical elements in the video.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I thought about doing something similar. But I would use EZDrummer running in Cubase and do a screen capture of that. I do not know of any software for the iPad except maybe Garageband. Not sure how you get the midi data from the drum kit to the ipad. I'm sure it can be done, though.

I should mention that the iPad is not a requirement. If there's software for a PC, that's fine with me. Chile, regarding how to get the midi data from the kit to the iPad, there's a cord for that. Also I need something that acts in real time with my playing -- so a screen capture won't provide that. Thanks.

Also I need something that acts in real time with my playing -- so a screen capture won't provide that. Thanks.

This part I don't understand. You want a video of the the screen, right? I did a screen capture of me playing a midi controller to drive EZDrummer and got the meters jumping as I hit the drums. I saved it as a short MP4 video, but I can't upload it to the site. It was a midi controller and not eDrums, but still basically the same thing.

Hi
I have a Yamaha DX562 midi drum set.
Is there a way to feed its midi out to my iPad and have some kind of midi software show a graphical display that shows things like waveforms, triggers, drum heads being hit, whatever. Basically anything that can be used in a video along with actual footage of the drums being played. I’m making a music video and think that it would be interesting to include these midi based graphical elements in the video.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

If you are happy to use a computer, then just about any audio software can do that for you on its piano roll display. This shows what's being hit, for how long, and when.

Back