Which microphone to get for loud singing?

sst352

Hello everyone,
i am a complete newbie.
I have limited knowledge of proper music theory and terminology so sorry if i use the wrong words.but my singing is quite above average considering how little training i've had.
I want to start making youtube covers ASAP and I don't know the specific equipment.
like with microphones, i sing very loudly, im a belter and i have a very loud, big voice; i sing amy winehouse, adele, beyonce, sam smith...etc
so i know i need something that can handle my volume. but i also have vibrato when singing and I kinda want the tiny effects like that to show up as well.
i dont know if i have to go for a dynamic or condenser, and i also dont know the specifications they should have.

also; ive done some research on the basic recording equipment but i think the first place to start is with the mic because i kinda think it would be different in my case.

thank you very much :)

Last edited:
Most microphones will handle your singing volume, and I've never heard of one that takes vibrato out. The differences are mostly in the realm of tone, as in brighter or darker sounding, that sort of thing. The main thing to look for in a microphone is compatibility with your voice and the way you want to use the mic (on stage, in the studio etc.). You will probably want a "large diaphragm condenser" mic. That's the big kind you see in studios. There are cheap ones, affordable ones, expensive ones and ones that, well, if you have to ask you can't afford them. I'd go for the affordable range. I'm sure someone will be along to make more specific suggestions.

Welcome. There are lots of threads here on this forum to help you get started with the basic equipment you'll need so do some searching and I think you'll get some great ideas. We can answer any questions you may have. You'll need to set your budget and to have a place to do your recording of course. As for your mic.......I think it's a good idea to get the right one first.........as you say........but keep in mind that your budget will come into play there as well. Most people will likely point you towards the Shure SM58 or SM57 because they're such professional standards. They're excellent mics. Loud singing is certainly a factor to consider but beware that no single mic is perfect for everyone and each person has preferences that vary quire a bit............so be prepared to get LOTS of opinions / ideas.

So.........do you have a budget in mind?

My first thought was "dynamic, SM58 better, SM7b or an Electrovoice" .
Then you mentioned "subtle" and for that you probably need a Large Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) microphone but that raises other issues.

The LDC will probably "clip" i.e. distort the pre amp of the recording device (more on that soon) since you say you are a belter! (Great! I spent years at am drams trying to get kids above the nose floor!) so look for a capacitor mic with a built in attenuator or "pad". This device will reduce the sensitivity and hence output of the mic, usually by 20dB or a factor of ten.

Recording kit: I assume you want to get this voice into a PC? For that you need an Audio Interface which is a box of tricks that converts the mic output to a digital signal via USB and allows it to be recorded using some special software (called a "DAW"). Almost as importantly but often overlooked, the AI can output the recordings to speakers and headphones so you can sing along to tracks. There is no practical limit to the number of tracks you can record but the AI decides how many at once.

AIs are legion and there are really no bad ones. The cheapest at about $100 US is the Alesis i02 up from that is the well regarded Steinberg UR22. There are many more but PLEASE do not go super cheap and buy an AI with only one mic input, you WILL regret it.

So, budget $150 for AI, you want a better than rock god wannabe mic so start looking at $250+ (sorry!) You need a mic stand and cable. To listen some decent headphones will do for starters, Sennheiser HD 202 are ok and "closed back", that last is important. Say $500 US all up?

Just a point, I have a Sontronics STC-2 and it is noted for its neutral quality and it has both a 20dB pad and bass cut filter.

Dave.

thanks for replying mixter
my budget is 300 dollars and under. i will be recording in my room, and i feel like there will be lots of background noise like the ac, and my laptop and my family if they're home at the time of recording.

my budget is 300 dollars and under. i will be recording in my room, and i feel like there will be lots of background noise like the ac, and my laptop and my family if they're home at the time of recording.

Ok, go for the Alesis i02 and an SM58, or cheaper, there are some very good dynamics around now for 1/2 the price. Prodipe is one. Or, you could look at a small D C such as the AKG P170? Has a 20dB pad. A stand and cable should not run you more then $30 US.

With your power and close to the mic "noises off" should not really be a problem but I think you will have to forget "nuances" for the moment!

Dave.

Yep, an SM58 would be the way to go. Getting close the mic and having a loud voice are things that will keep other noises out, and you should be able to do both with that mic.

Ok, go for the Alesis i02 and an SM58, or cheaper, there are some very good dynamics around now for 1/2 the price. Prodipe is one. Or, you could look at a small D C such as the AKG P170? Has a 20dB pad. A stand and cable should not run you more then $30 US.

With your power and close to the mic "noises off" should not really be a problem but I think you will have to forget "nuances" for the moment!

Dave.

oh guys i meant my mic budget is 300 and under, not 300 for all the equipment

oh guys i meant my mic budget is 300 and under, not 300 for all the equipment

Right! So you could go for an LDC but do get one with a pad. This will avoid any AI front end blasting and allow you to get in close to avoid room noise but you would still have the option of "opening it up" backing off and getting generally better sound when circumstances permit.

Some AIs have built in pads but rarely these days. One you might find S/H is the M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Dave.

Okay, a slightly different idea. I recently noticed that Sweetwater (I'm assuming you're in the USA) have THIS package deal on just now.

I can vouch for the quality of the X1--it gives a nice detailed sound without sounding harsh--and if you're really loud it has a built in switch to turn on a 10dB pad. It'll work well with the previously mentioned Alesis iO2--indeed that's the interface I use for portable work when I'm not in my studio.

However, the package at Sweetwater also includes a "Reflexion Filter" which will go a long way to solving your noisy room problems, particularly if you can put something soft on the wall behind. It also has a pop screen which is something you'd probably want to buy for any mic anyway.

Back