Mic Sound Issues

BEEZYthaGAMER

I bought a microphone on eBay called the BM800, it came with an male to 3.5mm wire and accesories. The mic still works fine and when I bought it I had to buy a male to female xlr cable. After a year of use the wires stopped working so I bought some off of different sellers, I was happy with what came in and switched to a new laptop, I also switched from using Audacity and went to FL Studio 12. After recording I noticed that the new laptop had weird audio with my vocals so I looked around and saw it was just a filter. After resolving that problem I now noticed a huge problem affecting me; when I record a song you can only hear the instrumentals when I post the song on SoundCloud, yet I hear both the vocals and instrumental fine on my laptop and other laptops. I thought it was the switch to FL Studio so today I tried Audacity and had the same issue, tried the old laptop and same issue, switched wires to others I had and same issues. I am guessing I need to get the original wire that came with it but they are all really the same. Is my phantom box, mic, wire, or something else the issue? Again, I am able to hear the vocals with the instrumental on computers, my iPhone 7, and headphones, but when on almost every other device my vocals are low in volume, or even distorted. Can someone tell me what the problem is, I would appreciate it a lot, thanks!

It sounds like the Left Right Stereo has an out of phase problem, you might find the weird vocals was not actually a filter problem but an indication of the phase problem. You need to check how the cables are wired, the wiring between the phantom unit and the computer is what type of adaptor / wiring?

Alan.

I had a BM800 (remarkable thing for the money! But beware they seem to vary a lot in quality and some don't work at all upon receipt!)

The mic has two M.Os. XLR to 3.5mm jack into laptop. Laptop powers the electret impedance converter and the internal On Board Sound system amps it up for recording.
2) XLR-XLR cable into a mixer or BEST OF ALL an Audio Interface. Using a phantom power box and STILL using the laptop's OBS seems pointless to me and a waste of money. The mic will still only get the voltage the Z converter needs and you are still using crap OBS.

Furthermore you seem to have collected a Gorgon's nest of dangly things to do a simple job! Get an AI, the Alesis i02 Express is WAY better than the present incumbent.

Dave.

Back