Mic Probs Please Help

KelvinM

Hello, Im new to home recording and have recently received all my gear.
I have everything needed to record.
But When i tried to start recording with my MXL v67 and my prosonus audiobox usb I found a problem!
I have tried 4 different DAWs and 2 computers and i have found that the problem is something with my computer.
(It worked on my friends laptop)
The issue is that even though I have the Phantom power light on my interface on (and it seems to be working)
my mic records VERY quiet..
I have to have the mic in my mouth to even get a small signal.
I dont know much about computers but could it be my sound card or something in the hardware thats not supposed to record good quality.
I have spent countless hours on Forums, Chatrooms and support but nobody can help me.
I turn my mic property level settings to the max and it makes the quality terrible and still extremely low.
Please help me.

Details of YOUR computer please!
Meanwhile, assuming it to be Win7, go into the Audio Devices menus and check that the Audio Box is selected as the default record and playback device and that the levels are at 100% (initially, this might need trimming) .

If no joy, set the PC back to before the AB was installed using Restore then download the drivers afresh and install again. Connect the Box to a different USB port.

Dave.

It's possible that somewhere in your PC is a small audio control app that has a level control that is active. The fact it works on another PC fine is suggesting your call that it's your PC is accurate. My wife's office PC was always quiet on playing sound and the usual volume fader did very little. There was an installed dell app that had the volume set to half. This let me cure it. Maybe there's something similar lurking away in yours?

My specs

i also made sure that they were set too default
I was told it could be a sound card problem

Processor AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Manufacturer AMD
Speed 1.6 GHz
Number of Cores 4
CPU ID 178BFBFF00610F01
Family 15
Model 10
Stepping 1
Revision
Video Card AMD Radeon HD 7600G
Manufacturer ATI
Chipset AMD Radeon HD 7600G
Dedicated Memory 768 MB
Total Memory 2.1 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0
Hardware T & L Yes
Vendor ID 1002
Device ID 9908
Plug and Play ID VEN_1002&DEV_9908&SUBSYS_216B103C&REV_00
Driver Version 13.152.1.3000
Memory 3.3 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit
Service Pack 0
Size 64 Bit
Edition Basic
Version 6.2.9200
Locale 0409
BIOS F.13
Version Insyde F.13
Manufacturer Insyde
Date
Display Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768
Sound Device 1 AMD High Definition Audio Device
Driver Version 8.0.0.8813
Sound Device 2 Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver Version 6.0.1.7246
DVD hp DVD RAM UJ8E2 SATA CdRom Device
CD hp DVD RAM UJ8E2 SATA CdRom Device
Drive 1
Size 678.1 GB
Free 629.3 GB
Drive 2
Size 19.7 GB
Free 1.9 GB
Browsers
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17239
Chrome 36.0.1985.143
Firefox
Safari
Software
Java
Flash 14.0.0.176
DirectX 11.0
.NET 3.5.30729.4926

---------- Update ----------

I have maxed out all audio sliders and mic preamp is up almost to clipping and is still very quiet with bad quality sound.

I do have phantom power. I have latest divers and all knobs are correctly positioned.

I dont think the problem is with the interface r mic because I used a usb and it was the same.

someone told me its probably my sound card. and thoughts about that?

Last edited:
I would speculate, you have some sort of setup issue at the OS level. If it works on one computer, then you possibly have a hardware issue on the computer side. Try another USB port or you could have an MD issue. I really don't think that, but it is leaning towards that.

Back