Mic Level Not Recording

zbyrne

Hey guys! First post.

Brand new to pod-casting, invested in some equipment and I'm giving it a shot! Tried doing a couple recordings the other night, but could not get my second mic to record well. Heard both of us fine through the headphone monitoring system - but my co-host was only getting picked up through my mic on the recording.

So this is my setup:
Mackie 1202VLZ4 Mixer
Zoom H6 Recorder
Behringer 4-Channel Headphone Amp
ATR 2100 USB Microphone's

I have my H6 connected to my mixer using a R/W TRS Main Out to a single TRS going straight into Line 1 of the recorder. I have my headphone system connected similarly to the Behringer splitter (the R/W connectors being plugged into the splitter). Everything sounds fine through our headphones when recording into the Zoom, but when I remove the SD card to play it back into my computer it's as if my co-hosts mic is off, or at least, recording very faintly. When I look at the level readings on the Zoom, speaking into my mic makes the readings rise to proper level, but when he speaks into his it barely gets a blip. I have our 2 mics plugged into the mixer's Line 1 and Line 2 respectively with XLR cables and settings identical on each. Any thoughts to shed on this? I can post pictures if needed.

Additionally, there is some static (which I could probably eliminate by playing with the different volume controls) but I figure deal with one issue at a time although any advice on how to reduce that, or what's causing it, would also be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance guys! I know a lot goes into learning this stuff and I appreciate your time.

The combo XLR/1/4" jacks on the Zoom are not stereo, so you've confused me with that TRS comment.

Why are you using the mixer and not just using the H6, either as an interface if going live or simply recording, and using its headphone output (3.5mm adapter to your headphone amp)? Is the mixer just for EQ or something going in?

But, regardless, if you use the mixer, you should go either from the XLR mains L-R via XLR cables to the H6, e.g., inputs 1 & 2, or use the CONTROL ROOM outputs with 1/4" cables. Slide the H6's PAD switches over to the -20 side to account for the line level input. Set your two mics panned hard Left and Right in the mixer so each has its own record channel. Adjust the H6 levels so they peak around -6dB, and optionally set the limiting option in the H6 menu for those tracks.

P.S. I've been using an H6 for about 5 years - these things are amazing.
zoomh6otj.jpg

P.P.S. Trying using the H6 by itself and see if you have static. Run it off a USB power pack (as in the picture).

Last edited:
Hi,
+1 to keith.
Sometimes, like with headphones, TRS means stereo unbalanced,
but more often (in the studio) it means mono balanced.

Usually a single TS or TRS connection in to/out of a mixer, preamp, power amp, interface etc is going to be mono balanced/unbalanced so, for stereo, you'd need a pair.

I believe your confusion is why my second mic isn't working, haha. If I switch to XLR outputs on the main out into lines 1 & 2 of the H6 - that will also work for recording a third and fourth mic as well, correct? I plan on having a host / co-host / guest format for the show. Also, thank you so much for your input. I was beginning to think it was some type of mono/stereo type thing. I have a lot of background noise in my apartment, so I was hoping the mixer might be able to give me more control over noise reduction, but I literally galloped blindly into purchasing all the equipment for this after reading a couple articles because I knew it was something I wanted to do. It's becoming apparent that with all of the features of the H6, my mixer may be superfluous for my current needs. Additionally, however, I may have musical guests on at some point in time, or even get into mixing myself, so I figured this would be a good way to start becoming more fluent with musical equipment and how all the components fit together. My next purchase will likely be a a synth. Thanks again.Here are some photos if it helps explain my setup more clearly.

Mackie up close.jpgZoom h6.jpgpanned out.jpg

I would just record everything into the H6, giving each mic (4 as it ships, 6 with the extender shown in my pic) its own track. Set the levels properly, with limiting if necessary. When you're done, create a project in the DAW of your choice, like Reaper, GarageBand, whatever, and import the recorded tracks there. Learn to mix and fix EQ, delete noises, etc. and bounce down to a final stereo MP3 for your podcast. Skip the mixer - you can't do 4 separate tracks more simply as that (IMO) without sending everything back and starting wtih a 4 XLR input audio interface.

Back