Mic

Hanne

Hello!

I want to buy my first mic, but im not so sure which one to go for.
I'm planning on using it for home-recording aswell as performing live
Which good ones do you suggest (that are available for a reasonable price...)?

thanks in advance :listeningmusic:

Hello!

I want to buy my first mic, but im not so sure which one to go for.
I'm planning on using it for home-recording aswell as performing live
Which good ones do you suggest (that are available for a reasonable price...)?

thanks in advance :listeningmusic:

For live vocal use you really cannot go wrong with a Shure SM58. It will also serve you well for home recording, to a degree.

Vocals again fine. In front of an amp, fine but not the best choice for say acoustic guitar where a Small Diaphragm Capacitor ( aka "condenser) microphone would give a more balanced and "crisp" result.

But! Just as important for the home recording thing, how are you going to get the mic signal into the computer? Please excuse if you have this covered (but this being the noob section n'all) you need an Audio Interface.

Dave.

I've read some good things about the Shure SM58 indeed!
Nope, I hadn't figured out yet how to get the signal into the computer haha. What audio interface do you recommend?

Hanne What audio interface do you recommend?[/QUOTE said:
What is your budget and how long have you got?! ...Seriously, minefield. You need some idea of what you intend to do? Just you on vocals? Vocals plus guitar, mates jamming. Full blown band at some point? Keyboards MIDI?
I STRONGLY suggest you look at the stickies and check out stores like Sweetwater, see what is out there. Download a few manufactrs user manual..LEARN. Then come back with a few models and see what the verdict is. Do bear in mind that there are NO really bad AIs. Virtually anything from $100 up will be capable of CD quality results (YOU won't for ages but the hardware will be!).

Dave.

Thirty bucks more than a 58 Chills but a wee bit (3.5dB) more sensitive. Still, nice to see a change!

Dave.

Err? Says it is just a "cardioid" not a hyper?

Correct. But you still need to be right on top of the mic. I guess off-axis rejection is freq dependent. It sounds great, hot signal, no feedback. I'll record vocals with it on my next song, but who knows when that will be. lol

First mic I had was an SM58. I got it when I was still playing with my band as a backing vocalist. I used it to record vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar and even as a close mic on drum toms when I did not have enough SM57s.

For any specific application you will find a better mic, but you would not find a mic that can do all these good enough at that price.

As for an audio Interface I would not go to the cheapest and smallest one with 1 or 2 mic pres. Unless you are strictly to record vocals only or a guitar/keyboard, I would suggest an interface with 4 mic pres. Eventually, as you move on you may get more mics and you would be able to record a full band demo with 4 mic pres rather than having to sample drums.

Back