Metronome bleeds into mix

Saab

I am a complete noob to recording, I just want to record a guitar track (demo) to remember the ideas I'm playing, I using Reaper and I'm getting the sound from my amp with a simple mic, I can record just fine, but whenever I enable the metronome, it's sound get recorded too, not through the mic but like internally, how do I do to prevent this ?

I bet it is getting into the mic. Because I'm fairly certain it's not "internally" recording it unless you've explicitly sent the click to a track to do that. If anything, you've got the click on still while you're playing back the track.

I'm not a Reaper user, so I suppose it COULD be a big with Reaper, but I really think it's getting into your mic.

What makes you think it isn't getting into the microphone?

the mic is placed just in front of the amp, but the sound of the metronome click which isn't really that loud sounds way louder in the mix than the distorted guitars (if this makes any sense) and that's why I'm jumping to the conclusion that it's recorded "internally"

Lol. I've been using Reaper for about 8 years now and I've never heard of or new the click track could be recorded "internally". Did you actually leave the click on during playback? Turn it off and just listen to your guitar track. Or....

Maybe the mic is picking up the click track. Are you listening to the click through speakers while recording your tracks? Is the amp volume low and the mic pre turned up high? That would do it.

Did you actually leave the click on during playback? Turn it off and just listen to your guitar track.

This was my first thought.

Maybe the mic is picking up the click track.

And this is my second.

Without routing an output to an input, I don't think it's possible to 'internally' record the metronome. The metronome just doesn't work like that. If you have the metronome loud enough through headphones it can be picked up by a sensitive microphone.

Using a stock computer sound card might allow the output to get routed back to the input. If he hears the guitar and click in his headphones (assuming he's not using speakers) they could be getting recorded together on one track.

try tracking the guitar while you wear headphones. that should isolate the click from the gtr mic.

I using headphones to hear the click, and it is disabled when I play the track back, also the click sounds covers the guitar sound on the playback ...
for the interface, I not using any which might be the cause of the problem but there should be a way to do it with the sound card alone

I using headphones to hear the click, and it is disabled when I play the track back, also the click sounds covers the guitar sound on the playback ...
for the interface, I not using any which might be the cause of the problem but there should be a way to do it with the sound card alone

Look at your OS audio recording settings. On my PC I have an option called "Wave Out Mix". On others it's called something like "What You Hear" or similar. The problem with any of those is that it records what you hear in your headphones, including click if it's part of the output mix. You need an audio interface because they are specifically designed to let you do what you're trying to do, which your stock sound card is not.

Back