Metadata question

mjbphotos

Didn't know where to put this question.

Is there any free/cheap s/w to add metadata to song files and folder files? Just got a new car, no CD player, so I've got to rip all my CDs to USB sticks, and I have a lot of live bootleg CDs that don't have metadata. When I create a folder (in Win 10) and name it, that name is on the folder on the stick, but the car player doesn't see it, it just says 'unknown artist'.

I guess I haven't tried it anyway on W10, but I know that on older versions, you can tag mp3s right from the Windows Explorer. Right-click the file, Properties, and go to Advanced. It may sound tedious, but you can do them in "batches". Select all the files from a given artist and set artist field. Select all from a given album and set album-related fields. Then do the individual track names. You'll do about the same thing with any other software solution.

Second Foobar. When doing waves, you would think you could edit in the Windows Explorer, but no, can't be. I have a car stereo that supports waves, so I have switched to using waves where I can. What fields to edit are a trial and error, but Foobar should get you there.

Second Foobar. When doing waves, you would think you could edit in the Windows Explorer, but no, can't be. I have a car stereo that supports waves, so I have switched to using waves where I can. What fields to edit are a trial and error, but Foobar should get you there.

Foobar can tag just about anything (I have personally used it to tag MP3s, WAVs, and FLACs). I have extracted store bought CDs and had the album and song data pulled down from the online (free) database. It's slick shit, especially when you consider it's for free. Been using it for years too.

I have sometimes edited the tag through explorer, but that function only works with MP3s as explained (and it's tedious if you want details propagated to each file that aren't available when you select a bunch and choose properties). In that case I always bring the folder/files into one of the editors I previously mentioned and do it there.

Yes, I've been using foobar, seems to work fine. Using Win Media Player to do the ripping to 320MP3, seems as good as any other method, just tedious.

Back